Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Journal membership  (Read 4456 times)

NH

• View Profile
Journal membership
« on: July 14, 2003, 05:04:10 PM »
Does anyone have any inside info on when and how (email, mail, etc.) law review and journal membership will be announced. I heard a rumor that all the entries have been graded and turned in, and now its just up to the journals to get together and make thier selections. Can anyone confirm any of this? This is even worse than waiting for grades!

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Journal membership
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 06:10:55 PM »
I can confirm that at least one journal is done grading (and all I think are supposed to have been done by now).  I don't think the choosing of members has happened yet though.

Gabe

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 12:52:48 PM »
Hi Andrew:
  I checked out your website. The pictures of the Fenway fire really freaked me out.  I live next door at 455 Park and the idea of a fire like that in my building is truly scary.
  So--can you estimate when we will hear from the journals?  I am getting stressed out waiting.  
   By the way, I saw you playing guitar in Pettit's class.  Very nice!

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 07:26:55 PM »
Last year we heard in early August (I think).  Each journal does their own thing for notification, so it doesn't all happen at once.

Inside sources tell me that Law Review has been emailed by a group of "increasingly desperate" 1Ls seeking a decision, though I don't know if that will speed anything up.

visitor

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 09:15:10 AM »
1l's?  as in going into 2l, right?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 11:09:21 AM »
Yeah - that's what I meant.  I never know what to say during the summer.  I usually stick with "Class of 2004" or whatever.  So yeah it's the 2005ers that are anxious - no one else cares.

anon

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 06:45:09 AM »
So I guess there was a problem with the site.  So, just to clear it up, all journals have now notified as of 7/24?  Are there any possibillities of shifting later on due to transfers?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 01:29:15 PM »
Yes - there was a problem and some posts got erased.

I can't confirm that all the journals have notified.  (I can't confirm that any have notified - I'm just a 3L trying to help.)

I do know that last year they were all on their own schedule and some notified up to a week later than others.

If you don't get on a journal - don't panic.  You're probably better off anyway.  It's a lot of work for the reward.  You can always do moot court to have a strong academic activity on your resume (also a lot of work though).

Shoelace78

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 01:45:45 PM »
I know that every journal has contacted people.  I am not sure what the protocol is for people transferring, etc.  If you are concerned that maybe you missed a phone call, or your entry got lost or something, it's probably worth emailing law review just to double check.

anon

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 02:34:12 PM »
I heard they let you know later on if you haven't been accepted to any journals, so I'll just have to wait it out until official word comes in.