Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where to live?  (Read 2475 times)

inCA

where to live?
« on: May 15, 2003, 09:11:24 PM »
Where do most BU students live?  What's a good resource to use to find apts?  

Also, how much are current BU students paying for their apts?

bostonsmartass

Re: where to live?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 01:42:03 AM »
Most BU students I know live in Alston, Brighton, or Brookline... along the B and C lines. I also have a couple of friends who live in the North End and love it there. Alston is the cheepest, Brookline the most expensive, but none of them are cheap. I pay 1300 for a 1 bedroom in Brighton, my friends who have studios pay at least 900. I used a broker to find my place, and it worked pretty well. Lots of apartments are no fee, so the broker is paid for by the landlord (and tacked on to your rent, but at least it keeps the initial cost down). I know the law school has a roommate list, and it's worked well for some people.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 02:26:26 PM »
I'm going into my third year living in the same place.  I used the BU roommate list and found three others.  Then we all came to Boston during the summer and secured a place.  We pay $800 each, right near the school (technically The Fenway, but really close to St. Marys T).

We used a realtor to find our place - paid a month's rent fee (I've never heard of this before Boston, but had a hard time looking for a place without a realtor.)

If you want to live with other people, and have a sense of adventure, you can get a big place on your own and then look for roommates.  It's pretty easy to find people to live with once you have a place.

As for resources: craigslist has never let me down (both looking for places and looking for roommates / subletors), the BU housing list is also really usefull if you're looking for roommates.  If you can pay the finders fee (and I think it's hard to avoid unless you live in a huge building that always has a couple empty units), just come to Boston and stop in at all the realtors around Allston and Brookline.  I found my place through "Citywide" on Harvard Street in Brookline.  Despite the name (and this is true across the board) the realtors usually only cover their local area, so if you're looking for something more exotic: north end, south end, backbay - you should go straight to those areas.

josh

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 01:22:58 PM »
How long can I safely wait until going to Boston to find a place? I'm on 4 waitlists, and I want to give those a while, so I was planning mid-July. Is this too late? Can I get away with even later? Thanks

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 01:24:44 PM »
I haven't been in the market for a couple years, but I would think mid-July is just fine.  I got my place the last week of June.

I see ads up all the time, pretty much year round.  It's just going to be a matter of selection and price.

Tess

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 02:02:39 PM »
I just signed a lease for a 2 bedroom in Waltham. I am hoping its going to be an easy commute, even in rush hour. It wasn't cheap. But I'm moving from CT, so I am use to ridiculous prices.

local chick

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 03:13:16 AM »
Why did you choose Waltham? Are you married and trying to live near where your spouse works or something? The BU/Waltham commute is not that easy... are you planning on using public transportation (this would be a pain) or driving?

BU3Lgirl

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 02:07:45 PM »
A terrific resource that not many incoming BUSL students know about until they get to Boston and pay a ridiculous "finders fee" is that BU owns several apartment buildings right in Kenmore Square, on Bay State Road.  They rent these apartments to BU grad students and other BU affiliated people (visiting professors, etc. but not undergrads), and there is NO fee.  And they only charge 1 month rent for a security deposit, and first month's rent.  Most places in the Boston area charge first months rent, last month's rent, AND a broker's fee of one month's rent (I paid this my 1L year).

I got my apartment last August, right before I started my 2L year.  I have a great 1 bedroom place in a brownstone, for $1250 per month (it was $1225 last year).  I had no problem subletting it for the summer, for the full rent, and they're even letting me have a 9 month lease this year so I don't have to worry about subletting it for 2 months after I graduate and leave Boston.

They have studio apartments, 1 bedrooms, and 2 bedrooms.  Most are located on Bay State Road, right behind the Citgo sign and the Barnes and Noble BU Bookstore, but they also have some in Brookline.  They're hard to come by, but totally worth it if you can get one.  I walk to school and can walk all over the city no problem.  It's technically the start of Back Bay where I live.  I don't have the phone # but they're located at 19 Deerfield Street (the street right next to the Barnes and Noble Bookstore) and they're the BU Office of Rental Property Management.