Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: National Jurist Ranking  (Read 1585 times)

PippiLongstocking

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
National Jurist Ranking
« on: August 05, 2003, 08:39:18 AM »
I know they were less than scientific, but I find the National Jurist Rankings interesting. Does anyone know how BU ranked in recent years, or where I can find the list?

BU3Lgirl

• View Profile
Re: National Jurist Ranking
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 11:47:18 AM »
I can't find the Nat'l Jurist rankings, sorry, but here are some highlights from Brennan's rankings....

Brennan's Composite Index is an alternative ranking service produced by former Michigan Supreme Court Judge Thomas E. Brennan. Judge Brennan ranks his top 20 schools according to a number of categories. We include only the composite list here. This list is rather controversial but also widely discussed. IT can be found at www.ilrg.com/rankings

BUSL -- #4 on the Institutional Index
The Institutional Index is primarily a measure of a law school's student enrollment in a given year and its annualized growth in enrollment, degrees awarded, credit hours required for graduation, and the number of deans and administrators and their ratio to students. The law school's age is also a factor. If a prospective law student is most interested in an institution's size, the categories which define the Institutional Index, may be most helpful.

BUSL -- #3 on the Faculty Index
The Faculty Index is a measure of the number of faculty and the ratio between faculty numbers and student enrollment. The full-time equivalent student to full-time teacher category represents the traditional student-teacher ratio, the principal factor used by academic accreditation agencies to measure the quality of a school. The smaller the ratio, conventional wisdom declares, the more likely that teaching takes place in smaller class sections and that students will have a greater chance of access to faculty.

PippiLongstocking

• View Profile
Re: National Jurist Ranking
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 07:29:48 PM »
Thanks. I have actually seen those before, but not since I really started looking at BU, so it is good to be reminded.

I am interested in the National Jurist Rankings because they are based solely on students' self-reported satisfaction with faculty, facilities, and quality of life. Of course various populations have different expectations and this influences the outcome as much as any real difference in faculty, etc., but still, otherwise similarly ranked schools vary widely in their NJ rank. Ex. Yale is 16th while Harvard as 158th. I have a list of the top 26 USNews-ranked schools, as printed in Montauk's book How to Get Into the Top Law Schools, but I am interested in the numbers for BU and other schools as well.

No store in my area carries National Jurist, and the online version is fairly worthless.

Anyone out there have this?