Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops?  (Read 2788 times)

Pencil 'n Paper

Laptops?
« on: August 06, 2003, 10:06:41 PM »
I've heard that a lot of students take notes on their laptops in class.  Can I get by without having a laptop during my first year?  I've never taken notes on a laptop before and felt like a notebook and pen served me well in college, so why bother.  

What do people think?  Arrogant folks need not reply.

Shoelace78

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 06:55:37 AM »
Do what is comfortable for you.  There are plenty of people use pen and paper and do fine- well better then fine even.  

Hope that helps!

Ryckman_Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 08:38:50 AM »
I found it extremely useful to take notes on my laptop for several reasons: legibility, speed (I type much faster than I write... and I found it vital to take copious notes just in case I missed something), and it makes it much easier to write your outlines (you can cut and paste from your class notes).

Chaoslace7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 08:47:08 AM »
Laptops, without wireless cards, are invaluable.  It becomes so so so much easier when you're studying for exams and can just hit control + f and find the notes you're looking for to make an outline.

but, if you get that wireless card and give yourself internet access while in the law school building, you probably should be far more disciplined than most, or else, well, lots of distractions ensue.

So-Bored

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 09:18:13 AM »
Only about half the class used laptops.  Some started with laptops and decided they liked notebooks better and vice versa.  
Personally, I really liked using the laptop.

Wireless cards - downside is, you spend all your time chatting during class.  Upside is, when you get called on, everyone else can feed you the answers.

nu2bu

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 09:36:59 AM »
People actually feed eachother answers via the wireless network???  That must drive the profs crazy...

So_Bored

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 09:44:09 AM »
Um, I actually don't think the professors are aware that people do this.  Sad, but true.

doyles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 12:03:14 PM »
About feeding answers--personally, when I am on, I am unable to so much as look at my laptop, much less a chat window on it, so any answer-feeding becomes largely useless. But perhaps I am just less skilled. I usually close everything but notes if I get called on so i don't get distracted. So don't look so glum, nu2bu

As far as note-taking, I actually don't think I type much faster than I write, given that I never really learned to touch-type, but I still prefer the laptop.

1) Making outlines is far easier, for the reasons already mentioned.
2) I would be pretty terrified of having only one copy of my class notes. You can't really back up paper notes, unless you want to photocopy everything. Given how important note-taking is (if it helps you that is) I think the ability to backup notes to a CD is invaluable.
3) If you want to take your test on a laptop, as you will be able to, well, you'll want it.

I would say at least 3/4 of my section used a laptop to take notes. Or at least had a laptop during class :) Chaoslace7 is right about being disciplined and avoiding distraction (good luck!)

One more thing: If you already have a good desktop computer, or you don't but you really think the only thing you want a laptop for is note-taking, I highly recommend a secondhand or refurbished Thinkpad from IBM. They are super sturdy and really hold up well. I got an old THinkpd 250 off of Ebay for about 300 bucks, and it has a tiny drive and only 64 megs of ram, but 1) you can add more memory and 2) if it meets the minimum requirements for WIndows XP and you throw XP on there, it will run just fine.

nu2bu

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 02:40:33 PM »
glum?  what do you mean by that?

doyles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 06:46:01 AM »
There was a sad face in your post, you seemed to not like the feeding answers thing. That's all!