Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LAW PREVIEW  (Read 4731 times)

squidz

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: LAW PREVIEW
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 10:43:46 AM »
There is a big difference between FEELING like you have to keep up with someone who says something "smart" in class, and ACTUALLY doing well on the test. The secret to good grades is not spending money.

Upperclassmen aren't taking time out of their lives to go to orientation so that they can lie to 1Ls. That doesn't make sense. What do they stand to gain from that? There are only two reasons to help out at orientation: 1) to give new law students some first hand perspective as they transition into their new lives; and 2) to meet people of the opposite sex -- there is nothing evil about either goal, and I bet the average greeter wants to do both . . .

Also, there is nothing arrogant about saying "rising 2L", that's what we're freaking called in the summertime. It doesn't mean anything other than person-who-has-completed-his-or-her-first-year-of-law-school: way easier to say rising 2L.

I think there is too much humility in this place. Arrogance is a big taboo in law school. I think it'd be more comfortable if everyone was arrogant -- walking on eggshells all the time is silly. Celebrate your acomplishments alone?!? That's a miserable celebration.

LearnSomeHumility

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 12:59:25 PM »
You make an interesting point.  I think there are many people at law school that feel the need to throw around their accomplishments, probably for the sake of feeling like they're better than other people.  What they don't realize is that this annoys everyone, including those people who may have higher GPAs than them anyway, but feel it inappropriate to be so arrogant as to bring their attention to it.

Arrogance is not just a big taboo in law school, but also in life in general.  No one likes a cocky person.  If you can't be happy about your achievements without telling everyone around you, including people who are not your friends and don't even go to law school yet, then you need a serious lesson in self-fulfillment.  You shouldn't need to make yourself feel smarter than others to avoid being miserable.

For what it's worth, I've never before heard the term "Rising 2L."  Everyone at the school now refers to incoming 2Ls as "2Ls" only.  Considering that TopTenPercentum felt the need to brag about his/her class rank right off the bat, I got the distinct impression that he/she meant something different by the term.  But I digress.

For all of you incoming 1Ls out there, don't be disillusioned by cocky people.  There are many more of us in law school that can go about our studies without being on a mission to make everyone else feel inferior.  And, as in the "outside world," those who are arrogant quickly find themselves without much company, except for others just as arrogant.  Talk about misery.

In an attempt to avoid making this entire Law Preview discussion about how annoying arrogant people are, I will end by saying that humility is a virtue.  It's silly to recommend that everyone be arrogant; I sincerely hope that no one takes such advice, regardless of whether it makes certain people feel "more comfortable."  Considering the feelings of others is an important skill to have, regardless of your disappointment that you can't boast about your brilliance at every opportunity.

Whatever

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 08:27:30 PM »
Why you gotta hate?

anon

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2003, 11:30:37 AM »
No one is hating, just telling it like it is.  I think Humility said it well.  No one likes an arrogant brag.

Luckily, there are only small pockets of this at BU.  There are plenty of people in the top 10% and/or on law review who make these kinds of statements, and certainly don't brag on public message boards.  There are also about 250 other highly intelligent students who are friendly, wonderful people.

Hopefully future BU students reading this do not think everyone here is as arrogant and braggy as TopTen.

Shoelace78

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2003, 11:32:27 AM »
I am a 2L.  Guess that would mean I don't have a section.

Anon

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2003, 05:32:19 PM »
Please tell me there are some down to earth, non type A or anal retentive,non cocky and non prestige obsessed people  in Law school, Other wise it will be miserable.

Shoelace78

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2003, 06:19:26 PM »
There are.  Most BU students do not even use this board.  It isn't representative.  Any law school will have Type A, anal people.  I really think BU has less then some.  Just beware that they are out there, and avoid.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2003, 05:06:34 PM »
Law School has a mix of personalities.  I've found my classmates at BU to be friendly and sincere - maybe because it's genuine, or maybe because they expunge their hate and frustration by anonymously posting on internet message boards.  :-/

Whatever the case, every class is completely new. 1/3 of the school and 95% of those with whom you'll interact next year haven't even seen each other yet.