Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LAW PREVIEW  (Read 4670 times)

nu2bu

LAW PREVIEW
« on: July 30, 2003, 10:51:58 PM »
I wasn't planning on attending Law preview, but I was checking out their web site and saw that three of the professors on the Boston Law Preview staff are in fact BU profs. Maclin, Lawson and Farnsworth, and all three are 1L professors.

Is anyone registered for the preview or still considering it? I'm
not even sure if there are spaces available, but I am thinking of calling tomorrow to find out.

And if anyone thinks that it's a total waste of time please don't hesitate in telling me so...

TheyCallMeTopTenPerCentum

Re: LAW PREVIEW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 06:00:11 AM »
Save your time and MONEY...

Instead, if you feel like shelling out some dough, I'd spring for the audio tapes from LEEWS...

http://www.leews.com/

Worth every penny,
-Rising 2L

poe

• BU 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 07:10:55 AM »
TheyCallMeTopTenPerCentum?!?! That's the dumbest name I have ever heard.
Quoth the Raven: "Nevermore"

Ryckman_Boy

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 07:13:15 AM »
I kindof like it... he's top 10%, and he's mad about safron. I hear safron's mad about him too...  ;)

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 10:10:15 AM »
You're already paying dearly for those professors (though you'll probably only get one of the three).  You might as well just wait.

Shoelace78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 11:54:35 AM »
My bet is TheyCallMeTopTenPercentum and Ryckman Boy are one and the same, or at least studied together.

Before ordering LEEW's take a look at the book that Farnsworth put on reserve in the library.  You may find that you can save the money and get the method from the book.

Also, the professors at BU are very approachable and LOVE to talk.  Swing by the first week to chat, swing by any time to ask questions.  All included in the price of tuition!

Ryckman_Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 12:12:33 PM »
What ever gave you the impression that we are two halves of the same persona? We are not. Yes we are! No... we're certainly not! Don't lie to them! I'm not lying. Yes you are. Am not.

And who might you be, Mr./Ms. Shoelaces? Section? Year?

Whatever

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 04:55:25 PM »
Okay, I admit the name, "TheyCallMeTopTenPerCentum," stinks.  While Shoelace may be wrong about me and Ryckman Boy (we are not the same person), he/she is right about the fact that you can save your money by not buying the LEEWS's tapes because one of the profs put the program's companion book on Reserve at the BUSL Library.  That said, your original post was about Law Preview.  I haven't done it and I don't know anyone who has, so I can neither speak as to its merits nor its cost-effectiveness.  Andrew's observation is worth noting:  "You're already paying dearly for those professors (though you'll probably only get one of the three)."  But heck, if money's not an issue, why not do Law Preview?  You can also buy the LEEWS tapes while you're at it.  But if money is an issue, then I'd also advise not going through with the program.  

As for LEEWS, I'd advise that you learn more about it in the coming weeks and then make a decision.  

Is this a scam?

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 07:41:40 AM »
So is law school just all about who puts out the extra cash to do stuff like LEEWS

LearnSomeHumility

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 08:06:40 AM »
Yes, law school is all about dishing out extra money to get ahead (e.g. study aids, LEEWS, etc.).  Upperclassmen will lie to you at orientation and tell you not to bother with these things, but the truth is that a majority of your classmates will be using them, and you will feel the need to keep up with them.  You'll notice this when one day a classmate throws out a legal term that you haven't yet studied (such as the "shelter doctrine" in Property).

As you may have noticed, bragging about your class rank or your achievements is incredibly annoying to others.  It's not a good idea to walk around and tell people that you're in the top 10% or to refer to yourself as a "Rising 2L."  Law school is stressful enough without having to deal with such arrogance.  Consider celebrating your achievements alone or with close friends.  And if you're going to brag, make sure you present yourself as an intelligent person, and don't misspell other words (such as "saffron").

As for Law Preview, I don't know anyone that bothered with it.  Those three professors do teach 1Ls, but I believe they teach different sections, so you will only get one of them during your first year.