Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low-down on first year profs  (Read 2087 times)

Muler

Low-down on first year profs
« on: August 16, 2003, 08:30:58 PM »
I'm looking for information/opinions (a little more candid and real than BU's "Faculty Profiles") about the following professors of whom I will be having class with first semester:

Pettit - Contracts
Lawrence - Civ Pro
Barnett - Torts
Leonard - Crim Law

Any and all info/advice/opinions is greatly appreciated!!

2Lwelcomer

Re: Low-down on first year profs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 02:13:45 PM »
You'll be getting the low-down on your section's professors from 2L students at the section panels during orientation.  I believe it's scheduled for later in the afternoon.

I see by your list that they've shuffled section professors around again.  I had Pettit for Contracts and Lawrence for Criminal Law.  They're both PHENOMENAL, so congratulations for getting to have them the entire year.  You'll be the envy of other sections.  You'll see what I mean once the school year starts.  Their classes were entertaining, funny, fresh, challenging, and everything you'd want out of law school.

Again, you'll get more details when you start orientation this week.  For Barnett, learn to enjoy his favorite topic (himself).  Don't know much about Leonard, but my friends who had him last year really liked him a lot.  He's one of the younger BU law profs.

nu2bu

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2003, 06:23:03 PM »
I have...

Torts - Baxter
Crim - Leonard
Contracts - Pettit
Civ Pro - Lawrence

Sec B2...  Any word on Baxter?

NotSoGreen

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 01:52:40 AM »
I agree with everything that 2Lwelcomer said except I would quibble with his/her statement that you'd be the "envy of other sections."  Don't misunderstand me, I've heard great things about those professors but I wouldn't have traded my set of first-year professors for any of the others (well, maybe except for one or two).  Personally, I found it quite difficult to compare my experiences with other classmates from different sections because each section is assigned to a unique mix of BUSL faculty and hence, each section really benefits from a unique academic experience.  However, you'll likely find one early benchmark for comparison... and that's at the bookstore cash register.  Section C's books last year were SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the other sections' books.  Of course, unless Section C gets the same set of professors as last year's Section C (unlikely), these cost-savings will probably not hold true for this year.

???

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:14:29 AM »
I don't get it? We don't get our section assignment until registration right? How come it's already up.

Muler

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 07:58:56 PM »
Sections are available through BU studentlink