Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone know of firms that hire 1Ls?  (Read 9372 times)

Dave80

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
Anyone know of firms that hire 1Ls?
« on: December 08, 2001, 05:27:52 AM »
Does anyone know where I can find some firms that hire 1Ls?  I'm not looking for prestige, just a paying summer job.  I know a lot of firms say they "sometimes" hire 1Ls, but where can I find firms that actually do?

lbaby

Re: Anyone know of firms that hire 1Ls?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2002, 11:04:09 AM »
is there a particular state you are focusing on?  this year will certaintly prove to be even tighter for 1L's looking for a firm job.  many firms i've written have already replied back that they are finished hiring for the 2002 summer and that they only hired 2L's.  

NYULaw180

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 04:57:44 PM »
Check NALP forms at http://www.nalpdirectory.com/employerdetails.asp?fscid=F0319&id=1&yr=2004

They say how many 1L's (if any) firms have hired in recent years. 

squarre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 02:54:07 PM »
Obviously this is a little old, but here is my advice for future reference:

Contact people you or your family knows in the legal field.  I talked to 10 people or so that I know and ended getting 2 different offers for summer employment.  Neither one paid a ton, but it was better than nothing and it looks good on the resume.

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 06:20:04 PM »
What are you expected to do your 1L summer? If you're going to a 1st tier non-top 25 school, what looks presentable on your resume?

Getting a paying gig for the summer would be great, but are you sacrificing anything by taking a paying job as opposed to taking a more prestigious non-paying job?

When I was visiting schools the consensus was that you should travel abroad through one of the schools programs. I have a feeling I might be able to swing something better, what is actually within reach for 1Ls?

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 11:11:16 AM »
I'm not looking for prestige, just a paying summer job.  

If your requirement is just that the job is paid, you may want to look outside of firms as well.  A few gov't jobs (i.e. public defender) and non-profits also pay and hire 1Ls.  I'm interviewing with a 501(c)(3) that pays $20/hour.
Fed gov't atty

Ad oculos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:11:42 AM »
As mentioned above, just check NALP.  Failing that, talk to the career services at your school.  They'll point you in the right direction.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 08:35:12 AM »
I think some schools have spring OCIs for 1Ls... you may want to look for some and find out who is interviewing there.