Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: REBOUNDING, AND I DON’’T MEAN THE LAKE  (Read 2037 times)

anthony

REBOUNDING, AND I DON’’T MEAN THE LAKE
« on: June 06, 2002, 08:48:19 AM »
REBOUNDING, AND I DO NOT MEAN THE LAKERS...

Realistically, how much damage has been done and how does one rebound from this??? I have just finished my first year of law school and my average is about an 80... or maybe even just under (e.g. 79ish). This is not competitive in the least, especially considering that I want to work in one of the more competitive markets –– Washington, DC.

I think I expected to come in and be a natural, i.e. not really burning the midnight oil and learning (when I went to class) from class discussion and whatnot. But you all well know that such activity will not easily produce good grades.

Ironically, my plan of getting good grades with little to no effort panned out at close of the first semester where I did so well that on the strength of those few grades, I landed my current summer job in a judge’’s chambers at the DC Court of Appeals (this jurisdiction’’s very highly regarded court of last resort). However, my plan miserably failed (or close to it) at close of second semester where combined my numbers produced my above-referenced academic shame.

So what is in the cards for me? My work here at the court has taught me so much in the way of research , writing and quality of work; not to mention the more intangible but necessary skill of coming in every day and putting in ungodly long hours. I am prepared to extend this effort on into the coming semesters of law school.

Conceding the maxim that hard work pays off and thus taking for granted that my grades should then drastically improve (for purposes of forecasting my future chances for success), what are my chances of getting the good firm job or clerkship post graduation?

I have made a lesser journal at my law school through an ambitious spring break write-on and of course I have this prestigious internship. Should I consider padding my resume with another degree? (i.e. a Masters in policy or something.)

What am I to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am sure that I am not the only law student in the world with this problem.

finko

• View Profile
Re: REBOUNDING, AND I DON’’T MEAN THE LAKE
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 03:35:50 PM »
Get a helmet.