Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are our options?  (Read 8899 times)

Todd

• View Profile
Re: What are our options?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 01:00:59 PM »
I start law school this fall (2004) and I received a call to join an invitation only family practice legal writing course from my university.  According to this professor it guarantees a summer job if I pass the class.  I went ahead and enrolled, but I wonder how they can guarantee a position this early?

delton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 01:10:58 PM »
Wow things have changed since I got out - firms were tripping all over themselves to hire summer associates after their first year - wine & dine, box seats at games, concert tickets, 3-hour lunches on the firm at the best places in town, $30/hr. (a lot of money then) - best time of my life!  Sorry it's so bleak these days, you're really missing out on a great experience.

cricket

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 01:44:05 AM »
how does one go about getting a judicial internship?  is it mainly through connections with judges you know (and, crap, i don't know any) or do you just send a letter + resume?

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 10:45:31 AM »
If the idea is to do something law related, is doing temp work for a law firm (clerical stuff) totally off base?
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 07:51:48 PM »
I studied in Rome for the first have of my 1L summer and interned for a federal judge the 2nd half.  Rome was incredible and the internship was of real interest to interviewers at fall OCI.  I'd say do something legal even if you have to do it for free.  I got my internship through a professor, but I have several friends who just sent out resumes and cover letters to all of the local judges and got internships.  My advice is make a connection with one of your profs and ask them for help with a placement.  They usually know a few judges who will take you upon the personal recommendation of a prof.

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 10:55:44 PM »
I will be working at a law firm this summer in my home town (about 30 attorneys)