Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are our options?  (Read 8941 times)

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
What are our options?
« on: September 20, 2001, 04:15:48 PM »
It's unlikely that we'll be working at law firms this summer.  So what are our options?  Does anyone know what a typical 1L summer is like?  What I mean to ask is... What do most 1Ls do over the summer?

erhu player

Re: What are our options?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2001, 05:36:51 PM »
Depending what school you're at, a 1L summer firm job is not impossible.  The ABA prevents law schools from emphasizing the 1L job hunt until after Nov. 1, but your career services office will probably coordinate some informational sessions after that time.

Many 1Ls choose to work public-interest their first summer, then at a firm during 2L summer.  Just make sure that you do something law-related... if you don't, you'll have a hard time justifying your summer when you interview for 2L summer jobs.  Good luck!

Chad T Gill

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2002, 02:23:42 PM »
What type of public interest jobs are available?

Anthony

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 02:33:03 PM »
Question:

I was fortunate and I managed to snag a summer judicial internship with the DC Court of Appeals.  Does anyone know the prestige of the various state court systems, or does it not matter as I am told that it does with the federal court system?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Rhonda

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2002, 06:59:50 AM »
Congratulations to the person who got a judicial internship! I am a 1L too, and I know my legal summer job prospects are grim. I am from a small town in indiana but go to school in Washington DC, I really want to get an internship with the court in the county seat  in my hometown for the summer. But common sense tells me it would be better to find work in DC. :D

davidci

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 05:59:44 PM »
After applying to about 40 firms and being repeatedly told "the summer class is full" I gave up and decided to study and work abroad in London through a program at my law school.  I hadn't tried judges yet, tho it worked for other people, as I figured studying and working in London would be a great opportunity for my sanity as well as resume.

From what I've gathered from friends and others I've talked to most 1Ls work somewhere for free, usually a local judge, a friend of the family, or some not for profit agency (such as legal aid).

sharks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 12:18:51 PM »
A lot of 1Ls are research assistants for professors or volunteer for non-profit legal kind of things. I wouldn't give up on the firm possibility too quickly though -- now is about the right time to start sending letter of inquiry/resumes to small firms to see if they need a clerk for the summer. They won't pay much, but it will be a good addition to your resume for the fall and good experience.

justinj

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 12:51:30 AM »
I currently have about 40 rejection letters from law firms sitting on my dresser.  If nothing else they give me inspiration.  Luckly I got an offer from a District Court Judge to volunteer as an intern for the summer.  While the pay is disappointing it should help me out for my 2L job search.  If I was not working for her I would love to study abroad, that would be an awsome experience which would look good to employers.  I am also planning to study for the patent bar this summer and sit for it in the early fall. 

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 03:33:20 PM »
I'm interning at a local non-profit doing immigration/asylum law (for free) and waiting tables to pay rent and save up for next year.

amanda

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 03:15:40 PM »
davidci, you mentioned studying and interning abroad. I will be starting law school in the fall and since I speak several languages and am very interested in international law, I would ideally like to work abroad my first summer. Is your school's program expensive or do you know of some other programs that help you find internships abroad?