Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: summer jobs in the UK??  (Read 3500 times)

Bittergrrl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
summer jobs in the UK??
« on: July 07, 2002, 07:13:25 AM »
Greetings,

I am a Canadian Law student starting September '02.  I have a permanent work visa for the UK and will be looking into finding summer law work there, if at all possible.  Anyone studying or working over there - do firms hire summer students?  Any ideas on how to identify potential firms? And finally, do you think they'd entertain the idea of hiring someone from Canada?

thieberoGer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: summer jobs in the UK??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2002, 11:30:24 AM »
I'm sure it goes the same in the UK as the US, so here's my bit of advice to you.

Firms only want to hire those they think they can keep after graduation. That being said, they'd only entertain a Canadian student if they truly believed that Canadian (or American, or whatever) student would accept a job offer from them.  This means they must believe you are willing to relocate across the Atlantic.  Do you have family there? Own property? Perhaps a fiancee? If not, the cards are probably stacked against you.

But what do I know? I could be totally wrong.

nolan

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 07:47:55 PM »
hi here is my bit of opinion too
i just came back from HK working as a summer clerk position with a big UK firm and i am aussie student. it is right to say that it would be a consideration whether u willing to relocate; on top of it, u need to show them your special interests in, say traveling or multi-cultural experience, these are what they value a lot. well, might only apply to international firms, i am not sure about local firms.

Justin@uga

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 03:00:44 PM »
Check out the Tulane Website if you want a summer job overseas. I got hooked on to it by a 3rd year here at UGA. They have a four week deal in Paris where you work for a law firm and take some classes, but you have to be chosen for the position. they might have the same deal in london. don't know for sure.

nola

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 09:00:21 AM »
hey - i just spent my summer in london at a solicitors office. it was an internship through syracuse law school (http://suabroad.syr.edu/programs/summer/internships.asp) its not paid but it could be a great way to make contacts for future work there.  if im not mistaken, the canadian education system is like the us' - not like the uk's?  i know that aussies and kiwis can easily transfer their law experience to the uk. the clerk positions were filled by mainly 18 and 19 yr olds in university.the real jobs seem to be taken by the students that have finished their solicitor/barrister training. and they sign on for 2 year contracts.  these are really competitive and the students outnumber the openings - much like summer associate positions in the us.  oh, and in regards to tulane (my school) there arent any summer work programs in london.
good luck!