Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: introduction to the topic  (Read 7543 times)

newatfive

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
Re:introduction to the topic
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2003, 01:48:02 AM »
what if to the top 20th first tier schools? to the second years law students: how many transfer students are admitted generally?

jw

• View Profile
Re: introduction to the topic
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2004, 12:46:19 AM »
I have a question for anyone who successfully transferred. I am currently applying to law schools and have bad stats 3.85 GPA from BU but a 147 LSAT. Because all my apps are submitted and given my work/school schedule, I was hoping to get into some law school (even if it's third tier), retaking the LSAT and transfer.

Did anyone retake the LSAT in order to strengthen their transfer application?

Besha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 02:48:55 PM »
LSAT DOES NOT MATTER IN THE TRANSFERRING PROCESS (unless you are transferring to Yale or Harvard, which specifically state that you must have been competitive to begin with. But even with Y and H there are LSAT exceptions). The only thing that matters in terms of numbers is your CLASS RANK after 1L grades come out(not your GPA). Plus, you must have interesting story to tell and/or have compelling reasons for trasnferring.)And, of course, recommedations.

mds

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 02:26:49 PM »
When do people typically begin the process of transfer applications?  I've started researching schools but because admissions departments are so busy with accepting 1Ls no one has replied to me in any way.  There's so little information available and so many questions.  Has anyone found a good resource for obtaining general transfer information?

newatfive

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2004, 08:29:04 PM »
the applications for transferring are usually due in July and they will let you know between the end of july to august, depending on the school. So you don't have to start worrying about it after finals.  they dont accept applications before May.

iamvul

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 12:55:25 PM »
If you know you like law school but don't like the school you are in would it be a horrible mistake to just drop out after your first semester and then apply to other law schools as an incoming student starting from zero?  I got decent grades (solid b average) my first semester but it seems like transfering is a long shot from some of the stuff I read.  I know I want a law degree but just not from this school and I worry about continuing down this path.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Ziva

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 06:31:18 PM »
How does law school GPA/rank compare to  ugrd GPA in terms of importance in trasferring?

Also, I may apply for transfer to my state's public school.  Does residency count for anything for transfers?

Dapta22

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2004, 03:36:19 PM »
I am trying to transfer out of a bottom tier2. I am in top 5% of my class, UG-GPA w/ honors, but poor LSATs. Am I a competitive transfer applicant to Georgetown, Columbia, NYU?

rallyemax

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 06:28:57 PM »
I am trying to transfer out of a bottom tier2. I am in top 5% of my class, UG-GPA w/ honors, but poor LSATs. Am I a competitive transfer applicant to Georgetown, Columbia, NYU?

You are probably competitive at NYU and have a chance at Columbia.  I was accepted at Columbia coming out of mid-tier2, in top 3% of class.  A friend was accepted at NYU out of a tier3 with a top 5% finish.  I don't know about Georgetown. 

If I may offer a word of advice, look beyond only those 3 -- sometimes quirky things happen in the transfer admissions process.  For instance, although Columbia accepted me, Boston College did not.  I later learned they had overenrolled 1-Ls the year before.  $60 is cheap insurance.

Dapta22

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 07:00:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Are you happy with your decision to transfer? Are you still in the top of your class, even though you are at a more competitive school? Did you acclimate immediately?

Thanks for your advice