Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cost of Distance Learning  (Read 3130 times)

Phillip Furgason

Cost of Distance Learning
« on: March 17, 2003, 03:11:09 PM »
I have been interested in the tuition of the different DL schools lately.  The ABA school I attended for two years was $14,600 per year (STH. TX. COL. of LAW).  The DL school I am going through is California Correspondence Law School (CCLS) - it is in the process of changing the name to California Coastal Law School.  It runs $1500 per year.  I have ran across another that was around $5,700 per year (Abraham Lincoln School of Law).  What does your school cost and which school is it?

Phill F.

Matt

Re: Cost of Distance Learning
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 05:07:12 AM »
I attend NWCU which, aside from CCLS, offers the lowest tuition at $1950 per year. Concord is far and away the highest in tuition (I completed one semester at Concord before transferring-- mainly for financial reasons).

Joanc

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 10:32:35 AM »
I recently transferred to NWCU ($1,950 yr) from Concord ($7,000 yr) because of tuition cost.  

The DL law schools appear to charge reasonable tuition for their respective programs, however, all are unaccredited and in the view of the state bar there is no tier ranking among DL schools.  All DL students must take and pass the FYLSE.  I choose NWCU for its FYLSE and Bar results as well the tuition (I cannot reconcile to myself acquiring a $70,000 debt at 44 years old, I already have a 20 yr. mortgage).  

Regardless of tuition costs, in the end it is your capacity for studying and understanding the law that will determine your success.

Regards,

Joan

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 03:42:03 PM »
Although I do not do DL, I have been curious about the cost.  I attend an non-ABA evening Program.  Birminghan School of Law.  I will only be able to sit for the Alabama bar.  I consider myself lucky on tuition.  Our tuition is going up next semester to $280 per course plus a $100 per semester fee.  That puts me at $1220 per semester plus books.  Occasionaly, I hear BSL grads complain about tuition.  I find this to be a lame complaint. I doubt any school that gets you a seat for the bar exam anywhere in the country is cheaper.
I would be curious to hear if anyone has lower tuition.

GW

Tony Burns

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 12:40:33 PM »
I am attending Brooklyn Law which is a regular school but I am curious about how much it costs to take say one class from CCLS.

It sounds like an excellent deal. I am also curious about othe rdistance learning programs and their cost.