Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Distance Education Students  (Read 9645 times)

DisEdLaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Distance Education Students
« on: January 30, 2003, 04:38:42 PM »
Are there any distance education students that have any thoughts about their program, or success?

I am in my fourth month at NWCU and am enjoying the mix between lectures, online and the material. I am also excited about the interaction between the students and instructors. I was not sure how it was going to go, but so far so good.

Joan Colbert

Re: Distance Education Students
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 11:34:30 AM »
Currently, I am in my sixth month at Concord Law and my law study experience has been intensive, exciting, and educational.  I love studying the law and my distance learning at Concord has been more fulfilling than I expected.  That being said, I am investigating and considering transferring to NWCU primarily for two reasons: lower costs and high Baby Bar pass rates.  

Phillip Furgason

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 05:26:23 PM »
I am a 2L and am DL through California Correspondence Law School (CCLS) -  http://ccls.info  

So far it is great.  I depend on Gilberts tapes for my "lectures" and have found that Gilberts has pretty good outlines.  I also use PMBR Multistate tapes on each subject.  I have my first 37 credits at an ABA school so my study habits are in place.  I am waiting for my Flemings Essay Exam Books 2,3 and 4 and have been told that the help a lot.

Now about my program.  CCLS is (at this time) the lowest priced at ($1500 per year).  This is a "no frills" course of study that has limited options for subjects offered.  This is fine for me because I know what area I want to practice and already have experience in that field.

Thoughts about success - I am determined to make it and have been putting the time in to make that happen.

I wish you the best in your endevors and if I can help in any way just let me know.  I will help if I can.

rkm

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 07:04:21 AM »
check out www.scups.edu

You take two courses at a time.  easy to learn and study this way. Typically 4-5 assignments (case briefs) and one final exam (proctored) per course.

They provide some course material. Professors are accessible if you need..

Fee little high (2700), bar pass rate OK.

JDTaft

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 05:25:13 AM »
I am 2L at William Howard Taft SOL (WHT).  It is a good program, and the staff is very responsive.  Tuition is approx. $3500/ year.  However, WHT offers scholarships to individuals in certain professions such as law enforcement and CPAs.  WHT has good Baby Bar and General Bar passage rates.

Rick Anderson

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 07:55:02 PM »
I'm considering enrolling in either Northwestern California University School of Law or William Howard Taft University. This is really a hard choice, since I heard both schools are very good. I did hear where NWCU makes extensive use of reading briefs, where WHT focuses more on the use of outlines.

I would appreciate information on what type of study is more effective, especially for the Baby Bar and General Bar.

Thank you and good luck to all the students.

Randy_Miller

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 02:51:29 PM »
Taft recently obtained accrediitation from the Distance Education Council.   They've been around a long time and list more than 100 graduates/attorneys on their website.

Ryan

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 10:32:33 AM »
I think you should consider your choice from standpoint of the amount of tuition. NWCU costs onlu $1950, whereas Taft costs more than double the NWCU amount. However, the upside of Taft is that you could apply for Career Training Loan from Sallie Mea. For your information, Taft, Concord and Abraham are the only DL law schools listed in the Sallie Mae. Good luck!

Randy_Miller

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 06:18:01 PM »
In the long run, does it matter if your tuition is $2,500 per year or $7,000?  If you're successful and pass the bar this represents only a few hours of billing.  The difference of $4,500 per year represents only 20 hours at $225 per hour, a rather modest billing rate in California.

The accrediitation also might come in handy later if I elect to teach at business schools.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 02:50:24 PM »
I attend a non-traditional evening lawschool and I find California's distance learning schools interesting.  In Alabama we have two options, traditional ABA schools and non-accredited schools.  The non-ABA schools allow you a chance to take the Alabama bar. The three non-ABA schools have bar pass rates from under 10% to around 70%. The evening programs take 2.5-3yrs.  The advantage over distance learning is that you are forced to devote the time and show up for class.  That I can do.  I am not sure if I could do the lone wolf method.

Visit lawschoolafterdark.com