Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tips on how to study while reading case law  (Read 7307 times)

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips on how to study while reading case law
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 12:57:46 PM »
i'm not a law student yet but i think i know the answer to this one:

a brief is a summary of the individual cases that are covered in class.

an outline is a summary of the entire course and how the cases fit into the general scope of the course. 

i think an example would be for torts, you can have 3 different cases explaining exceptions to intentional torts (don't even know if this is correct) and in your outline there would be a heading with intentional torts and these 3 cases cited as examples of exceptions.

most books i've read and people i've talked to suggest buying commercial outlines for each course.  that way you can see the relevance to which case you're briefing within the scope of the entire subject.  but they also suggest to create your own outline since it gives you a better grasp/understanding of the material.  also, many outlines are handed down from upper-years with students who have previously taken the course with the same professor - some of these are gold and some are crap.  you may need to join a student association in order to get some.

that's just what i've read and heard anyway.  don't know if it's accurate or not.
Headed to Hofstra in August!

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 01:40:33 PM »
sorry, i just read my post and it didn't really answer the question.

from the commercial outlines i've flipped through, they essential brief the case for you (and i've heard some students even just do this).  the commercial outline briefs are a bit more thorough than what some suggest should be in your outline.

my friend has said once you brief the case, to incorporate it into your outline you essentially need the rule and application.  since you've already briefed the case your outline is merely a reminder for what goes where and why.

so yes, it is essentially a brief of a brief that is included in your outline.  or so i gather.

sorry to confuse.
Headed to Hofstra in August!

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 08:45:58 PM »
Hate to ask, but now I'm in law school and well shoot they assign a ton (about 30 in some classes) of cases each week.  However, they are truncated and they pull a point out then and move on, but it's hard to read that many cases and keep them all straight.  It's especially difficult when they throw in dissents.  Do I group the cases together by topic and degree of change (e.g. commerce clause cases keep giving congress more authority, except for rare instances)?

_DOWNY_

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 10:06:24 AM »
We should all give up.
DOWNY is watching you.

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 11:59:01 AM »
So after the first wk I have 55 pages of notes/brief/assignments is this way too much? 

If not I better get cracking on cutting it down into 4 manageable briefs.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 02:22:45 PM »
So after the first wk I have 55 pages of notes/brief/assignments is this way too much? 

If not I better get cracking on cutting it down into 4 manageable briefs.

How many pages are just the briefs?  How many briefs?
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2004, 04:51:05 PM »
Well the briefs and notes (class discussion) about the briefs run about 45 pages (48 cases) and I'm up to 62 pages right now, then I started outlining the reading in civ pro and contracts for the remainder.

highball

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2004, 07:10:50 PM »
Ok, sources of outlines:

- Storelaw has some nice plug and play outlines for most casebooks for their software.  It's just section headings, you'll actually have to fill in the blanks, but it's free.
- Google and you'll find a ton, but it's a crapshoot if they're keyed to your book.  Plus, you never know how good the student was.
- Emanuel or Gilbert are both good outlines in general.  I have a a Glannon and I think it sucks, might as well read the real book.

Casebriefs:

- Google again and you'll find places like 4Law, etc.  Some are good, some are suspect.
- Storelaw will sell you the case briefs that plug into their software.
- Westlaw, but briefs are kinda thin IMO, like too thin
- Legalines, or whatever brand is matched to your book should work.  I use Legalines for two of my classes, and Casenote for another

LOL, one of our teachers flat out said that anyone who was decently smart could just grab an Nutshell (Emanuel I think?) and be set!  She rocks.  I got my second quiz back, this time in Civ Pro and I'm still top 5%!  I don't let my classmates though, I just pretend like I'm working hard and having trouble 'getting in' like they are.  I faked missing the 2nd question on the quiz.  When the whole class let out a collective WTF? sign/groan when the Prof. read the answer out, I acted like I missed it too.  It was tough, because inside I wanted to be like that dude on ESPN that stands up and goes BOOOYA!  Keep typing biatches, get your words per minute up and maybe you'll be my secretary one day.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 10:02:33 AM »
Well the briefs and notes (class discussion) about the briefs run about 45 pages (48 cases) and I'm up to 62 pages right now, then I started outlining the reading in civ pro and contracts for the remainder.
How many pages per brief on average?

I'm averaging 2 pages per brief.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 08:20:58 PM »
About 2/3 of a page, of course, they are truncated cases from the case book.