Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tips on how to study while reading case law  (Read 6929 times)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on how to study while reading case law
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 08:35:31 PM »
About 2/3 of a page, of course, they are truncated cases from the case book.

Then I would say your briefs are not too long, but you take more notes than I do.  But that is probably a good thing.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Beth Matter

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 12:05:17 PM »
I have seen references to color coding while reading briefs, but I don't have that info handy. Can someone explain how to color code?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2004, 12:49:14 PM »
I use color-coding when I read cases. You can use highlighters or just a multi-color pen (I use the pen). Whenever I see anything pertinent in the facts, I underline in blue. I use green for any law cited, red for the court's reasoning and black for anything procedural that I am interested in. If there is an idea I want to jot down in the book, I use whatever color that corresponds to that section. It sounds a little silly and sometimes looks like your book is a rainbow, but for some reason, it helps me focus on a particular area (law versus reasoning). It is also useful in class when you are trying to find a particular area quickly. The biggest reason I do it is because I am interacting with the material rather than passively reading. It helps me so I still do it.

lawgroupie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »
I have a question about color coding. I bought some pens and did some briefs that way today, and think it makes it easier somehow.

However, I ran into a problem of not always knowing what color to use. Like what color do you put the issue? the holding? Some areas don't seem to fit into the 4 color groups exactly. How do the others handle this?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2004, 08:51:18 PM »
I've been highlighting them in the color that they best fit into.

Maybe I should highlight in that color and then put marks in the margin with the other colors so I'll know it overlaps.

I have a question about color coding. I bought some pens and did some briefs that way today, and think it makes it easier somehow.

However, I ran into a problem of not always knowing what color to use. Like what color do you put the issue? the holding? Some areas don't seem to fit into the 4 color groups exactly. How do the others handle this?
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2004, 09:47:04 PM »
lawgroupie,

Just choose whatever color you want for a specific area. I use blue for the facts (facts of the case and any Plaintiff or Defendant arguments), green for the law, red for the reasoning and black for any procedural stuff. Those are really the only categories I use. What other categories are you trying to use?

MNIKWA NYASHA

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2004, 04:42:23 PM »
We should all give up.
::)THANKS FOR THE TIPS.