Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Confidential Method  (Read 5508 times)

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law School Confidential Method
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 11:01:06 PM »
I did not follow the book's advice, but after 4 semesters in law school with excellent grades, this is what I can tell you. Don't EVER listen to a book that tells you not to take notes in class (unless, of course, you are the type who only needs to hear it once). The notes that you will take in class will become your roadmap to how a professor thinks. Figuring out how a professor thinks will be your opportunity to determine what is important to them and what their thinking pattern will be when the prepare the exam. Don't ever give up that opportunity. I have watched others use the "no class note" method and for the majority I have seen, it does not work.

I make my outlines from the combination of class notes and case briefs and it gets me A's. The last exams I took before break were again very successful for me. All that I had to study to prepare for a final was my outline and during the test, anything I needed to know I could see in my head. I knew my outline so well that whenever a specific issue came up on the test, I either knew the answer right away or could think back to my outline and see it all there in my head. I need to qualify this by saying that, until law school, I had never tried this method. I had never experienced anything close to having a photographic memory or anything along those lines. I was a decent student in college, but the results I have seen doing it this way has made all the difference in the world. For me, this method was  a godsend. This is what works for me.

I have had times when I have book briefed only. The method that works best for me is doing a book brief the first time through reading the case (highlighting and making notes in the book as I read), typing the actual brief a few days later and reviewing my prepared briefs just before class that day. This method has never failed me.

So, in general, I think the book has a lot of good suggestions. But if I were to warn you about anything, I would warn you not to listen to part about not taking good class notes. In my opinion, it would be the BIGGEST mistake you could ever make.

Good luck whatever you decide.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Confidential Method
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 03:52:57 PM »
Three questions:

1. Where does one find this free highlighters from Lexis-Nexis?

2. How do I know when to listen during a lecture, and what is important to mapping the Prof's mind?

3. I keep hearing about fixing your notes after the lecture. What exactly does this mean?