Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many hours a day do you study?  (Read 16397 times)

dewey cheetem

Re: How many hours a day do you study?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 11:06:56 AM »
this guy above me is my idol... good for you man (or chick, i didnt read your name...) i study pretty madly now, cause im a 1l, + did well last semester, so figure, y fix what aint broken... id love to have the balls to take your approach, but just think it might be too risky now... maybe as a 3l...

my approach?
weekdays: come to school, all classes + work - 8 hrs
weekends: home or school - 4 hours

chetemen howe

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 06:01:28 PM »
I must say that I find it hard to believe that one who studies a mere several minutes a day jumps from 1l to 2l.  Why, if I may ask, haven't such students marketed their magical and coveted brief-study formulas?  I really wonder which school  these legal gurus attended.  An ABA-approved law school?

I feel that it does matter to professors  of the Socratic brand whether students have something significant to say in class.  Why would students and/or professors bother if it didn't?  

But, the opinions and experiences are mine and mine only.  Shoot, I often studied several hours during undergrad, and still ended up with a sub-4.0 GPA!

OSU_Professor

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 10:59:49 AM »
I have no idea what law school JUST ME is attending, but in my classes, if a student tells me that he or she has not read the materials, that student will be called upon again on another date, and if I get the same answer, they will have their grade lowered in the class, or they will be "invited" to withdraw from the class (if this is permitted by the law school).  

I have taught at ten law schools over 27 years, as a visiting professor or tenured member of the faculty, and I can say that there are precious few professors, if they teach Socratically, who will accept non-preparation in class as acceptable (although excusable, of course, on a given occasion).  

For the teaching process to work well, students needs to live up to their responsibilities, as much as professors must live up to theirs.  Students who regularly come to class unprepared are essentially parasites---they want to feed off their colleagues' effort.  Too many parasites, and the class fails for the remaining students.

Finally, how do you expect a student with such poor study skills, and lack of discipline, to do as a lawyer?  The answer is obvious: far less well than if the same student used his or her skills more suitably.

squidz

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2003, 02:21:05 PM »
I disagree with OSU professor.

If JUST ME is in the top 10% of his class, then he shouldn't change his methods. That would be an inefficient use of his time.

That said, I also wonder about the quality of JUST ME's school. I had to work hard to do well my first year, and I don't know anyone who was successful without a lot of effort. But, I didn't study for the sake of study. If I could have cracked the top 10% without cracking a book, I would have been stupid to spend hours in the library anyway. Maybe JUST ME is just a genius -- you can't hold that against him.

JUST ME's study habits aren't poor if they're effective. If I had been in JUST ME's class, I wouldn't have cared if he didn't work hard, and I wouldn't have cared if he was a "parasite". I would have seen that as an advantage for me -- I would have had the same access to class notes that he had AND a deeper understanding from my work outside of class. Often knowledge of cases became a convenient shorthand on the tests -- I didn't have to go into a lengthy black letter explanation of some idea when I could just allude to Asahi, or Tarasoff, or Lee Optical, or whatever, and that saved valuable time.

Just do what you have to do to learn the material. If you can absorb it through osmosis like JUST ME, you're really lucky, if you have to work hard, then work hard. You're not in class to impress your peers or to impress your professor; you're in class to learn the law. That's all that matters.

I don't see why it's not possible that JUST ME could turn out to be an exceptional lawyer. But, then, I don't have OSU Professor's experience. If OSU professor is right, that just goes to show how ridiculous and arbitrary the whole system is . . . a bunch of parasites in the top 10% like JUST ME who are aparently destined to be bad lawyers will be working for Ropes & Gray while the ethical plodding bottom half of the class make ends meet at temp agencies . . .

ChaCha2l

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2003, 07:12:45 PM »
Hello..he is a prof at OSU, are you really going to take him that seriously???  That is a crappy law school anways, so think about the students he has to deal with.  I would just do what you need to do to suceed to the level you want to suceed.  

mpk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2003, 10:47:58 PM »
Well, first of all, I'm almost positive that chacha21 either isn't a good law student, or does not go to an ABA approved school (If he's a law student at all).  If you were (and you had any bit of intelligence), you would know that it doesn't matter which law school someone teaches at.  The fact that OSU Prof. teaches, and has taught for 27 years, shows that he is highly competent and highly knowledgeable (an elite professional).  Do you actually think they would have a "stupid" professor teach at their school?  This just shows how ignorant chacha21 is. I think he got offended for some reason and decided to write something that was obviously (obvious to intelligent people) an uninformed and idiotic remark.

I haven't been on this site in a couple months and i don't know if my membership expired or not (couldn't log on).  In any case, I do not go to OSU nor did I apply there.  Regardless of that fact, I can guarantee that every professor that teaches there will know more about law than chacha21 will ever know.

Sorry to the people who had to read this, but I just read chacha's remarks and thought it was the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

mpk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 11:00:14 PM »
Oh, and spelling a simple word like "succeed" incorrectly once may show that chacha is a fast typer, but mispelling it twice (the exact same way) just seems to show that we can't take him seriously as a student.

Once again, I'm sorry for the comments... it's not personal.  I just felt that I should say something.

Carrie_B

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2003, 04:02:30 PM »

I agree. Chacha is definitely an idiot who has no idea what he/she is talking about.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2004, 03:06:56 PM »
I am in an evening program, 4 classes per week, and I have other obligations.  I tailor my studies around that schedule.  I usually put in two hours per day during the week and another 6-8 hours on the weekend.  That works out to about 2 hours for every hour of classroom time. As the term draws to an end, I ramp up the hours.

Visit lawschoolafterdark.com.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2004, 12:47:11 PM »
After reading this, I'm going to ask my lawyer how much he studied.

It better be more than a few minutes.   :)
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +