Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many hours a day do you study?  (Read 16501 times)

georgeR

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
How many hours a day do you study?
« on: October 06, 2001, 11:34:23 AM »
So far I don't think law school is really that bad.  I probably have about 3 hours of homework a night, though I put in some serious time on the weekends.  Is that typical?  Anyone studing a lot more?  A lot less?

plantman

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
Re: How many hours a day do you study?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2001, 10:23:04 AM »
I was studying about that much towards the beginning of the semester (I'm a 1L).  Now it seems like studying is all I do.

Cathalina Voke

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 06:43:43 AM »

I study less , 15 minutes in fact and about 20 minutes of homework .Theres only one thing you need to know if you want to be a lawyer and that is that. For every 10 people that you defend at least one of them is going to be innocent .It doesn't matter if its only one it's you that should make it more !:-*  

capulchea

CapulcheaRe: How many hours a day do you study?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 07:24:53 PM »
Cathalina,

No offense - but its no wonder you don't study.  You post makes no sense.  I wonder if your really even a law student.

Good lord, all I do is study.  Thats it.  However, it has paid off bigtime.  Im in the top 10%, on the Law Review, and just won a Moot Court.  Not trying to brag, just emphasizing that the hours in the library pay off.

Rhonda

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2002, 07:04:48 AM »
I study at least 3 hours a day minimum. I take law school more seriously than I did undergrad. I know it is going to be extremely competitive to get summer jobs and post grad jobs because the law student pool is huge now.

diva

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2002, 01:10:04 PM »
I do agree that the post from the person who studies 15 to 30 minutes a day does not make sense and is probably not from a real law student.  It's impossible.  I am a 1L, and I spend every spare moment studying.  I have no time for TV, newspapers or friends.  Studying is all I do, other than eating, sleeping, and pitching in at home with my children.  I also work about 3 hours 5 days a week, which makes it a little harder.  I have not timed myself, but my guess would be that I study about 4 hours a day during the week and 6 to 7 hours a day on the weekends.  So far, I am doing very well in all my classes and I just hope I continue to excel.  I don't think it makes sense to go to law school if one is not willing to sacrifice for at least the first year.  Everyone says that it does get easier in the following two years.  

humor

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 07:43:40 PM »
do you think there's a difference in study effectivness between the library and the apartment?

i do all my studying in the apartment and like the freedom i have here but does anyone think that studying is more effective in the library?

snowfluke

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2002, 04:18:34 PM »
The library is more productive as long as you don't talk to friends or surf the web (or visit dicussion boards like this one).  Home, on the other hand, is much more *comfortable*.  You can treat law school like a job - bring your lunch and "work" 8 to 6 or whatever, but then you might as well just go GET a job instead.  Part of the beauty of law school is the fact that you get to be student for three more years.  I say study at home and sleep in whenever possible.  Stay out late on a Tuesday night.  Celebrate your studenthood.

iii

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 10:32:50 AM »
my prob is that at home i have broadband i and i think i get on the net too much

i have better net access at home than at the library.

just me

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 06:06:14 PM »
Hey no bashing the 15-30 min study people.  We take good notes in class and study for the final.  When the professor calls on me, I say I didn't read.  I don't care, my grade isn't hurt by that.  Everything you need for the final you get in class so if you take bad ass notes and can think on the fly reading cases for the fun of it, is not worth it.  I get the 2 lines of black letter law for my outline I need out of an hours reading  you did for homework when I go to class.  When you sit for the final no one cares what P or D did or where they sued.  You just need the rule of law and how to apply it, and you get that in class.  Learn the law in class for your outline, and if you don't understand that go see the professor for help on it.  Then study outline.

Still in top 10% and I don't crack a book after the first semster or brief.  Though for 1L, I would recomend reading and briefing till you understand the system.  Once you do, it isn't any harder than undergrad.  Learn the rule and how to apply it.  If you can do that, you ace the finals.

Im in my 3rd year and I didn't buy books for my final semster.  My professors think I am crazy.  But hey when they grade the final, were just a number they don't know who I am.

I don't recomend my style though unless you feel confortable with it.

Good Luck you all and see you in the courthouse