Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any schools not use it?  (Read 5685 times)

Brandi

Any schools not use it?
« on: March 04, 2003, 02:03:17 PM »
Have you found any schools that don't use this method?

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
Re: Any schools not use it?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 03:31:43 PM »
Correspondence schools are about the only way to avoid socratic methos completely.  As far as I know, only CA will allow those grads to sit for the bar.

GW

ruskiegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 11:41:15 PM »
According to this article, Boalt Hall does not emphasize the Socratic method.

www.top-law-schools.com/boalt-hall.shtml

Lowti

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 02:20:51 PM »
UVic, as a rule, doesn't. Part of the "UVic difference" and all that. Visting profs think it's crazy, but I can't say I mind much!

Bina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 07:07:10 PM »
are you sure you don't want socratic?  it's good prep for judges...

coloroflaw.org

• View Profile
    • The color of law
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 01:09:16 AM »
As much as I hate it, I have found that I am much more prepared and understand the material much better, for the classes with the hardcore socratic profs.  I am sure it because if given the option, I am putting more time and effort into learning the material, for fear of being unprepared.

birddog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 12:58:26 PM »
Actually I've gotten the impression that most schools are moving away from the "hard core" socratic method.  Duke rarely uses it - in fact, half the profs don't even cold call.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 09:54:35 AM »
As much as I hate it, I have found that I am much more prepared and understand the material much better, for the classes with the hardcore socratic profs.  I am sure it because if given the option, I am putting more time and effort into learning the material, for fear of being unprepared.
I agree. The socratic method is a very good tool. Besides, how can a "soft" person be made into a stone when there is nothing to force the change? For instance, I was not big on speaking in front of ppl, now I could care less.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 11:27:42 AM »
I agree. The socratic method is a very good tool. Besides, how can a "soft" person be made into a stone when there is nothing to force the change? For instance, I was not big on speaking in front of ppl, now I could care less.
I have to second this.  I've had two judges for profs and they loved the socratic method but later on during the semester, they eased up.  At first you are always nervous but once you've done it or screwed up, you realize that it is no big deal.  I have no problem speaking in front of people now.