Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does your school GRADE you on class performance?  (Read 8906 times)

anon

Does your school GRADE you on class performance?
« on: March 26, 2002, 09:47:34 AM »
Just wondering - are there any schools out there that grade you based on in class performance?  I know generally the only grade is the exam, and getting called on only affects your reputation amongst your classmates and professor.

mike

Re: Does your school GRADE you on class performanc
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 04:11:38 PM »
At BU, some professors will raise or lower your final grade based on your class participation and performance. Neither occurs often but having your grade lowered will really only occur if you are obviously not prepared for class.

Chopin

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: Does your school GRADE you on class performanc
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 09:57:50 AM »
At University of Baltimore, some professors will raise your final grade by at least 1/2 a grade for participation.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
Re: Does your school GRADE you on class performance?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 03:34:12 PM »
At BSL I have hd 5%-10% of some class grades be based on class participation.  This allows the prof. to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who makes an effort.

visit ww.lawschoolafterdark.com

dtonsing

• Dennis J. Tonsing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 06:32:55 AM »
This recent response -- (At BU, some professors will raise or lower your final grade based on your class participation and performance. Neither occurs often but having your grade lowered will really only occur if you are obviously not prepared for class.) -- reflects the policy at Roger Williams University School of Law as well. Check the syllabus for each class, though.  Usually, faculty members are allowed to adjust the grades somewhat, according to the rules and regulations adopted by a committee of their peers -- some will employ a more conservative approach in their own class however. 
Of course, the best advice to a student is this: show up prepared and participate as much as you can.  Why?  In so doing, you are "practicing" law, and -- through trial and error (falling off the horse and getting back on) -- getting better and better at what you are expected to learn in law school, that is, thinking like a lawyer, and speaking the "language of the law" fluently.
Dean of Students
Academic Support Program Director
Roger Williams University School of Law
Bristol, RI
Recent Publication: "1000 Days to the Bar -- But the Practice of Law Begins Now" (Wm. S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2003)

1L

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 02:43:57 AM »
First of all relax -- Socratic is not that bad at all (it's really over-rated).  Most profs. at my school do not factor in class participation.  Actually, the final exam is usually worth 100% of your grade.  I am a 1L, and I can tell you the Socratic method is not that bad.  Most profs. use a less-scary modified version.  I've only had one that was "pure Socratic."  The pure form takes some getting-used-to, but what's the worst that could happen?  Gulp....you don't know a fact pattern or a legal theory?  Oh no!  So, relax.  It's not so awful.  Ignore the horror stories; everyone is in the same spot and most people are supportive.  I'd never laugh at a classmate or show him/her up, and I expect the same courtesy back. 

distefa4@yahoo.com

butchcjg

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 03:13:43 PM »
my partner is a law student....the socratic method CAN be that bad, depending on who the prof is.. there's usually at least one that is always the "nightmare" of the school.  and, it seems also that if you get caught unprepared or not understanding once, you're likely to be picked on EVERY time until you start getting things right.

as for your grade...at rutgers, they can choose to lower or raise a final grade if they want.  they usually leave most alone, and lower a small handful of students they think are outstanding.

Dragonfly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 07:56:24 PM »
At my school, it also depends on the professor.  Seriously, don't sweat it.  Do the reading, prepare for class, and HOPE that you get a professor who knows how to use the Socratic method properly.  When you do, you'll realize how effective it is in both helping you to more thoroughly absorb and understand the material and in teaching you how to really work your way through the law. 

Yeah, you'll probably screw up.  No, you really will screw up.   And you will be mortified.  :)

But your peers will respect your more for playing the game and screwing up than they will for hiding your head and hoping not to be called on.  So will your professors. 

Enjoy it.  It's one of the most exhilirating experiences of law school.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 03:17:48 PM »
My crim law professor said that about 10 per cent of our grade will be based on class participation.  The good news is that he tells us what days we are to be "on call," that way we have the opportunity to prepare extra dilligently for that class period.  Overall, I think it's a good thing.  If you do your reading, the questions aren't going to be hard.  If you always do your reading and always answer the questions, you will have a nice boost when your written exam comes around.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 03:25:53 PM »
Crimes prof says that you lose one grade point if you are unprepared.

Other classes it doesn't affect the grade.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +