Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does your school GRADE you on class performance?  (Read 8776 times)

dgatl

Re: Does your school GRADE you on class performance?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 07:34:39 PM »
all our profs told us is that class performance can factor upto 15%.

the 2L's told me that class performance in those same professor's classes counts up to 0%

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 08:53:52 AM »
One prof said he factors that into your grade, but I don't know if I believe him.  Either way, it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, the Socratic stuff is there to help you get an idea of how the prof thinks. Pay attention to what he/she asks & the patterns they use; it'll help on the exam.

I agree that the Socratic method is highly overrated, but I don't care if I'm wrong.  I've only been doing this 3 weeks (almost); what do I know? ???  I think it's more important to ask when you really don't understand and pay attention to how the prof works the questions.

I think those who 'suffer' from the Socratic method are those who don't like being in the spotlight anyway, or who are paralyzed by the fear of getting it wrong.  Sometimes it feels like a minefield in class when the student in the light is trying to read the prof & give the prof the answer they think the prof wants.  WRONG!!! Give the answer you think is right, because the prof's gonna lead you in the direction he thinks you'll agree with for the sake of agreeing, which may not necessarily be the right one.  Then you're left in class painting yourself into a legal theory corner 'cause you don't know enough to get yourself out the door.  It's like cat & mouse because the prof obviously knows so much more.  Just accept that fact and do your best and no harm will come. 

As a bonus, you can entertain yourself in class by paying attention to how he questions other folks so when it's your turn, you know how to get out the door! :D
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 11:19:00 AM »
Standing in front of a class to talk about a case can't be anymore stressful than facing a judge and jury.

If it's too much stress, go to business school.   ;D
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 12:02:46 PM »
Standing in front of a class to talk about a case can't be anymore stressful than facing a judge and jury.

If it's too much stress, go to business school.   ;D

Then you'll really have to stand up and give presentations!!!  Seriously 3x a week, every week except finals week, when it's every day! ;D

Kidding.  Only, like, 6-8x a month until finals! ;)
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 12:11:33 PM »
I'm too old to worry about embarrassing myself.   :D  Bring it on.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

zippy_zaboo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 08:23:32 PM »
My school allows any prof an unlimited # of 1/3 grade point raise/lower for class performance (as in C to C+, or A to A-).  Conversations with profs who are my friends indicate that it's not used often, maybe 5 in a class of 100.  Also, it's more common to raise your 'pets' than to lower anyone's grades.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 06:09:54 AM »
I'm too old to worry about embarrassing myself.   :D  Bring it on.

I was never really intimidated by instructors even in high school.  Since I went to a private Catholic school we couldn't speak until called upon.  I seriously had no problem with saying "I have no idea, sorry."  They would try to make you look stupid, but I had every right to answer back without being disrespectful, thus, ultamately earning the respect of my teachers.  College was a joke, as an older guy, all the younger people thought I knew everything, and I knew less than them.  Even after I showed them my grades, they still thought I was a better student.  Very strange. 

I bring this up because in UGRAD almost all of my classes adjusted grades, or had the ability to adjust grades 10%, for so called class participation.  I think it's more ass kissing, but as an older student, they just want your respect, so I gave it to them.

I really can't see the problem worrying about being called on.  "I don't know, I have no excuse, it will never happen again."  Any other BS thrown at you, let two words be your friend "I'm sorry."  Say it every time s/he continues to try to make an ass out of you.
Sooner or later, the ass is exposed. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..