Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do 2L profs use the socratic method?  (Read 5682 times)

Dave80

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
    • View Profile
Do 2L profs use the socratic method?
« on: December 08, 2001, 05:21:10 AM »
I'm not bitching about the socratic method.  I think it's a good way to learn useful lawyering skills, and it keeps everyone on their toes.  Just a question though - is the socratic method a 1L thing or a law school thing?  Do a lot of 2L/3L profs lecture or do they call on people like the 1L profs?

Uwe

Re: Do 2L profs use the socratic method?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2001, 11:08:31 AM »
It really depends on the professer.  There is certainly less pressure the second year because everyone is used to being called on.  I had a couple profs that called on people and a couple that didn't - just depends on their style.

ronnie austin

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 10:17:45 PM »
All of my professors still use the socratic method.  It doesn't matter if you answer the question, as long as you start talking about something remotely relevant to the class.  Just think on your feet and you will get that little green check next to your name.  Even if you don't, class participation is worth between .05 - .10 percent of your final grade, so relax.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 09:49:24 AM »
I have one prof this (2nd) year who--while an awesome prof--is the devil when it comes to the Socratic method.  She calls on only 1-2 people per class.  One you are hers, you are hers for the entire hour.  She's relentless.  I just endured 47 minutes with her this week. 

elo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 01:13:21 AM »
I *love* that way of teaching. It's gruelling when you're in the hot seat, but what a rush!

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 07:58:13 PM »
But did you learn from it?

I have one prof this (2nd) year who--while an awesome prof--is the devil when it comes to the Socratic method.  She calls on only 1-2 people per class.  One you are hers, you are hers for the entire hour.  She's relentless.  I just endured 47 minutes with her this week. 
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 02:48:36 AM »
JeffJoe, how is it that you have the worst reputation second only to me??

DOWNY