Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to expect  (Read 2248 times)

sugar

• View Profile
What to expect
« on: July 17, 2002, 05:22:31 AM »
Hey--I will be a 1L in the upcoming semester. I am experiencing a great deal of anxiety. I have read "Law School Confidential" and "Acing Your First Year of Law School" but I still just feel anxious because I have received basically nothing from my institution in the way of telling me when to buy books, when I will get my schedule, etc. We do have an orientation a few days before class begins but I don't want to show up empty-handed if others are going to show up with all their books bought and toting other documents we need. Any suggestions from those who have been through it on what I need to be doing in this last month before school begins?

dogtown

Re: What to expect
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 06:18:03 PM »
Sugar,

I know exactly how you feel, because I was in your same position one year ago.  Here is the best piece of advice you can get:  Relax.  Trust me on this.  

- You will do fine in law school.  If you study hard, you will do fine.  

- Law school is not as hard as it sounds.  The Socratic method sucks, but you WILL get through it.  

- Put away the "how-to" books about law school.  This one is important.  These things do nothing but make you unduly nervous.  Put them away and relax.

- You are prepared.  There is nothing more you should do.  There is no "real" way to prepare anyway.

- And as for your school leaving you in the cold, this is part of the process of being a 1L.  I felt the exact same way.  I was like "what the hell am I supposed to be doing?"

You will see that were overly nervous.  One year from now youll be looking back on where you are now and kinda grinning, hating and loving the whole thing.  

If you have any other question or just want to talk about what its like or anything, please email me at sjosephy@hotmail.com.  

I hope this helped at least a little.

tiffr101

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 05:52:15 PM »
hi, i'm wondering where you will be attending school.  i'm going to penn state this fall.  my mentor gave me the same advice that dogtown gave you.  i'm wondering if all law schools leave people completely clueless until the last minute. it's hard not to freak out when you really dont know what to expect :-/ good luck!!!! :)

UT-to-OU

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 04:34:50 AM »
I feel the exact same way.  I will be starting OU Law in the fall, and I'll be going up there in May for their Early Admission Program.  I don't have any idea what's going on!  I have "Law School Confidential" and "Acing Your First Year," not to mention Scott Turow's famous "One L" book. All I am doing is scaring myself, and driving my family and friends crazy!  Anyone with info about OU Law or about the One L experience, contact me!

-A

ReasonablePerson

• No, really I am reasonable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 09:27:28 PM »
Ok, here's what to expect:

I'm a 2nd semester 1L.  It's 9:30 PM on a Saturday night and I'm home alone working on my Appellate Brief (100% of the legal writing grade, due in a couple days).  I've been at it since 9 AM.  Most days I start at 7.  This has been going on for the last several weeks.  I could probably get by with less work, but I want good grades (how unique, I know, but I'm trying to xfer)

Not every week is like this.  Most weeks I take two nights and a Saturday afternoon off.

Not everyone works like this.  Some people do less work and get better grades.

FYI... when you're in law school don't surf this site.  There's no time for such TomFoolery.  Spend your free time drinking, it helps clear the mind (seriously!).

Otherwise I love law school.  Only thing I hate is studying my ass off and not knowing if I will get an A or an F... (fortunately results have been closer to the former  ;D)

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 12:31:03 AM »
I am also a 2nd semester 1L. However, I do not study to the extent that the previous poster seems to... I am in the top 10% of my class, so it is not that I don't work hard-- i usually do hw 2-3 hours a day m-f and about 4-5 hours on sunday (if i feel motivated, so about 2 sundays a month). You have to do what works FOR YOU. I have found, not only with myself, but my friends as well, that how much time you spend on hw and the method of how you study doesn't need to change much from college. i still study the same way, the only difference is an increase in hours of work per week that i do. it is completely dependent upon the individual, so asking someone how they study and how much, doesn't mean that is what you should do.

As for starting in the fall, i also read all those guides, bought a few supplements before school, and read the PR board and Sua Sponte religiously. Though i can't say it was a waste of time, i can say that it didn't really matter. I also had no idea about books, orientation expectations, etc. Don't worry, everyone is in the same boat... you will get it all in order AFTER or during orientation. Just make sure you are compeltely moved in and settled in your new apartment/house/dorm, that you have the mindset of a 1st grader ("i want to make friends") when you go to orientation, and know thyself--- seriously. the friends part is good just because you might miss class someday and need notes, or you might want to have someone to call if you forgot your syllabus at school, etc.

i know this is repetitive, but don't freak out, it is not bad. if you are sure you want to go to law school (or at least mostly  ;) sure) then you will be fine. i love law school, which might be odd.... i think most people do, they just don't want to admit it (or they shouldn't be there anyway).

good luck   ;D

ReasonablePerson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 09:39:12 PM »
See, some people do less work and get better grades (although I'm right behind you Holidayinspain...).  But, you are right Holiday, it's not that bad  8) there's no need to freak out (I can say that now that I turned in my brief).

Hey Holiday, are you able to maintain that schedule while taking care of your legal writing requirement and are you taking 5 or 6 classes?

For those who care, here is a breakdown of my schedule and reading requirements (generally):

Property (20 pages 2x per week)
Contracts (50 pages 1x per week)
CDR (50 pages 1x per week)
Torts (50 pages 1x per week)
Crim Law (40 pages 2x per week)
Legal Writing (various reading, plus appellate brief and oral arguments)

(WOW that's about 270 pages of reading per week, 1000 per month, 3-4,000 pages of reading per semester!) :o

For those wondering, what else is there?
Brief cases
Research your appellate brief
Write your appellate brief
Prepare for oral arguments
Apply for summer position
Join an organization
Have fun
Drink

And I still love law school... :D

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 11:52:01 PM »
is CDR your CivPro?

fall i had torts, CivPro, Property, Contracts, and LRW
this semester i have CivPro, Property, Contracts, LRW, ConLaw, and Crim.

last semester i worked pt as well (10-15 hours a week) but i quit in january, not because of the time, but cause it was psyching me out and giving me stress that was effecting my performance, and even though i did well last fall... i want to do better this spring, especially since my exams count for more of a %age in my yearlong classes.

what type of school do you attend RP? (tier, location, size, environment, etc)
my reading load is comparable, however due to my insane bookwormishness (nice word make up there, huh?) when i was a kid, i read at a faster pace than my friends at school, so maybe that is what decreases my study time. also, about 3 weeks before exams (i.e. now) i get more intense and do 7-10 hour library days about 3-4 days a week... and a week before i am there at least 7 hours every day.... to each his own, a lot of my friends don't go "exam ocd-ish" like they say i do.

what type of school do you attend RP? (tier, location, size, environment, etc)... my reading load is about the same give or take 5 pages in any give class, but i would nto doubt that your school is more competitive than my current school.

night  ;),
hs.

ReasonablePerson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 11:45:41 AM »
Actually, I'm attending a tier 4 (supposedly almost a tier 3, how they figure that out, I have no idea).  I'm in the S. East (FCSL).  Class of '06 is about 300 students, 700 overall.  Environment is competitive (there's a required curve), however a large portion of the students are good with "getting by."  I've heard reading requirements are generally the same regardless of tier...

I'm not the fastest reader.  I never finished an entire book until I got to college.  I'm getting faster, but you and I are probably at opposite extremes (no wait, your at one extreme and I'm in the middle, yeah, that sounds better);D  Either way, it sounds like we found the reason why I spend a little more time in the books.  So in obvious conclusion, if you're a fast reader, you might have some more free time.

Holiday, what's your school like? (tier, location, size etc...)

oh yeah...
CDR stands for Civil Dispute Resolution (same as CivPro)