Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what's it like...  (Read 1653 times)

Jen23

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
what's it like...
« on: April 30, 2002, 06:33:47 PM »
What's it like to be a law student? How much studying is involved? What type of person would you recommend law school to?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: what's it like...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 06:41:02 PM »
My opinion:

It's like college in terms of the assigned work load.  The big difference is that you have to actually do the work in law school, and you have to do it well (ie can't skim through much, and have to take notes on what you read).  Another big difference is that the professors call on you, and make you answer questions that range from easy to impossible.  This can be stressful.

In terms of the atmosphere... I went to a large university (17,000 undergrads).  Law school (my class has 240) is very much like high school.  People are a little more mature, but there is still a bit of gossip, cliques, etc.  Generally people are pretty nice though.

Exams in law school are no fun at all.  They count for 100% of one's grade, and hard work doesn't necessarily pay off (after all, everyone is working hard, and not everyone can be at the top).

Christo

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2002, 12:30:31 PM »
Andrew is exactly right...I went from a large University in Canada (30,000) to a small law school (150) and had the same experience. I would make one correction - I think people are more gossipy and clique-ish

Dangermouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 04:30:59 PM »
It's what you make of it.  I know people who study five-six hours a day.  I know people who study only on the weekends.  I study only on Tuesdays.

Most people study two or three hours every night.  Most people are easy going, normal types.  Most people actually do things other than study when they get the chance.  If your school has a golf course, then most people will play a lot of golf.  Or maybe not, you never know.

Grades for the first year are critical for getting a law firm job your second summer, so it's very front loaded.  After first year, law school is a waiting game.  It's also possible to learn stuff too.  And play golf.