Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tape Recorder  (Read 1386 times)

Dolphin

Tape Recorder
« on: June 16, 2003, 07:38:07 PM »
I am an undergrad so I don't know how things go in law school.  Does anyone ever tape record professors lectures?   One of my friends is an international affairs major and records all of his lectures and stores them on his computer.  Would this be a good idea for law school?
Thanks.

MoritzLaw

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: Tape Recorder
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 10:43:08 AM »
At my law school tape recording is strictly prohibited unless you have a disability that needs to be accomodated.

dolphin

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 08:12:42 PM »
Why is it stictly prohibited and is this common at most schools?

Some_Devil

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 01:05:55 PM »
Hell, if you've sat through the class once, it's not going to be any more interesting a second time listening to it.  I think it's a complete waste of time to be recording classes in law school...time that could be spent drinking.  Or watching TV.  Okay, or studying.  Thing is, a recorded class is only going to do you any good if you actually miss it.  And still, you can get the notes from a few classmates to pick up all the key material from that class.  

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 07:01:52 AM »
At my school, student tape recording is not allowed.  I don't think there's much of a reason for this - just to protect the school against black-market distribution of the product: a legal eduction.  (a somewhat silly rationale)

However, if you're going to miss a class, you can ask the professor to have it taped.  There's an A/V department that will (supposidly) record the class for you so that you can listen later.  Professors often volunteer this for review sessions and commonly missed days (like Jewish holidays).

Remember that law school classes aren't taught like college classes.  The professor asks questions of the students instead of lecturing.  Class is as much about quick thinking and participation as it is about information gathering.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »
At BSL it depends on the proff.  Most don't allow it. I have never seen the benefit of taping lectures with the exception of reviews for exams.

I have known students who used the record function on their laptops to record lectures.

GW
Visit www.lawschoolafterdark.com

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 12:19:30 PM »
I had an undergrad teacher who would not allow because it 'inhibited the free flow of ideas'
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +