Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working while a 1L?  (Read 2435 times)

mattybumpo

Working while a 1L?
« on: June 07, 2002, 03:04:49 PM »
I've heard conflicting reports on working while a 1L. I'm out of college over 10 years, an executive in the publishing industry, and contemplating law school to compliment my current skill-set.

Unfortunately, there is no way for me to completely disconnect from my work life. I am confident, however, that I will not need to work more than 10 hours/ week while in school.

Is this manageable? Can I really commit to working 10 hours a week while a 1L?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Working while a 1L?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2002, 05:54:37 PM »
I think 10 hours should be very managable, especially since you are used to working and managing your time.  I know there were people in my class that were doing this, and I don't doubt that they did just fine.

wildcat97

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 07:58:07 PM »
Most of the professors/ administrators will frown at it. I started working at a firm in Feb. of my 1L year (10 hrs/week). Because of the reaction I got from the first couple of people I wound up keeping the fact that I was working quiet.
I agree with Andrew that it requires time management skills.

dave

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 03:43:00 AM »
I work 40 hrs/ week and take classes at night.  Alot of schools offer evening law programs.  It takes four years instead of three, and it is more difficult for a few reasons, not the least of which are that you will be working full time and taking only one less class than students who go full time, other evening students that you are in competition with will often have no job and so will have 40 more hours a week with which to sleep and study, and finally you will sometimes miss class or be late because you are required to finish a project for your employer.  Also, for some reason, some big firms look down upon evening graduates.  All I am saying is that it can be done.

Nicole G

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 07:13:30 AM »
1st in your section, 2nd in your class? Do tell...how did you do it? Was it your study style, note-taking prowess??? A future 1L wants to know! :D

Anonymous35

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 09:13:14 AM »
I don't know what the answer is.  I've always done well in school for as long as I can remember.  I did well again second semester, and ended the first year with a 3.9 GPA, made law review and graded onto moot court.  I am working full time this summer and having a great time.  As far as why I did well, I think part of it may be that I actually enjoy studying and learning.  It's definitely not my note-taking skills because I don't take that many notes.  I did read each chapter in the study aids before the professors would start teaching it in the casebooks, and that might have helped.  I participated a lot, asked and answered questions in class constantly - which helped me stay interested.  I studied at least 3 hours every weekday and around 8 hours every Saturday and every Sunday.  I did not brief cases (book briefed only).  I wrote a lot of practice exams before taking my finals.  Hope these ideas help, but it's different for everyone, and you will soon learn what works best for you.  I had to find ways to make it work in spite of my other responsibilities with job and family.  good luck to you.

jkattu

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 04:59:45 PM »
Hi,

I need help deciding between part time and full time.  Will employers look down on part-timers?  Will they even interview me?

Should I start out part time with option of switching to full time, or the other way around.

Help and insight into part time v. full time is much appreciated!!

thanks!!

antiparasite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 11:27:19 PM »

You can certainly work part-time while attending school. Another option is to find a very costomizeable program that offers you great flexibility and lets you set the pace..

One example would be John Marshall in Chicago, (for an example).

-J-

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
When I was going for my BA, I worked full time in a factory (swing shift, no less), had three children and was in school full time.  I started on an MA Ed., was still working full time, taking classes full time and took on the position of the department graduate assistant.  That finally burned me out.

After I 'droppped out' of grad school, I was looking forward to all the spare time I was going to have.  A year later, I looked around and all my spare time was gone again.

After all, I had to have a couple hours to watch TV to relax before bed.  I had to have time to read.  I had to have time to play on the volleyball team.  I had to have time to help coach my son's soccer team.

My point is, and I do have one, that for many, if not most people, our days are filled with time that we can 'spare' for work and school.  It all depends on what is important to you.

8)
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 10:03:55 PM »
I'm glad to hear there are some people who think it is reasonable to work as a 1L. It may not be ideal, but some of us it's necessary. In my particular situation, my wife will be working full time to be the breadwinner, but I'd like to at least add a few crumbs to the mix. :) I am used to working while in school, as I worked both full and part time while in undergrad. My question is this: Should I be looking for a clerking job of sorts or something that pays the most money for my time, i.e. waiting tables, etc.

Any thoughts?

cheers.