Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can anyone top my 8 waitlists?  (Read 1349 times)

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone top my 8 waitlists?
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 09:38:32 AM »
For Corsi,
I didn't apply to 20+ schools. I picked 1 safety, 3 reaches, and several midranges.
I didn't ask for your sympathy, or for your "heart to bleed". I was just making fun of myself.
If I have been waitlisted at so many schools, then obviously I am no auto-admit, and upping my app #s will only help me. That is to say, I am obviously in a position with my numbers that I need to apply to multiple schools to maximize my chances. And it has paid dividends
You are too bitter far too early in your legal career.

ccorsi

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 09:44:17 AM »
1st of all I don't believe you.  If you are on eight wait lists you definitely applied to close to 20 schools.

2ndly, I am not bitter - just telling you that you being on 8 wait lists is clearly self induced.

Lastly, I wish you the best even though you clearly over applied to schools.

C2

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 09:52:47 AM »
I am reminded of an old saying often when reading posts on this board:

"If you dont have anything nice (I am substituting "constructive", since this is an advice board) to say, dont say anything at all."

Its really not hard.

PleaseMr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 06:28:22 PM »
I can't beat 8 waitlists, but I don't know what is worse. 8 WLs or awaiting 10 responsses? At this point, basically it's the same thing. 

163/3.8... applied super late. lovely :)

siehead

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 06:33:10 PM »
I have 6 waitlists/reserves from T14 schools, probably gonna get one or two more.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 06:44:21 PM »
1st of all I don't believe you. If you are on eight wait lists you definitely applied to close to 20 schools.

2ndly, I am not bitter - just telling you that you being on 8 wait lists is clearly self induced.

C2

Clearly they did NOT overapply since those are 8 decisions which are up in the air. Over applying would be people with way more acceptances than they need (like me). They were probably right to apply to that many since obviously none of those 8 apps was a sure bet.

I am someone who overapplied and I am not ashamed of it and don't care what you think of it but I don't see how 8 waitlists implies applying to too many.

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 06:52:59 PM »
1st of all I don't believe you. If you are on eight wait lists you definitely applied to close to 20 schools.

C2

Clearly they did NOT overapply since those are 8 decisions which are up in the air. Over applying would be people with way more acceptances than they need (like me). They were probably right to apply to that many since obviously none of those 8 apps was a sure bet.

I am someone who overapplied and I am not ashamed of it and don't care what you think of it but I don't see how 8 waitlists implies applying to too many.

I overapplied myself, but that's because I had no idea my app was going to be taken seriously by half of the schools that ended up accepting me.

As for the guy on all the waiting lists, maybe the shotgun approach was actually the best strategy for him, because clearly there are a lot of schools where he might get in, but where it's no sure thing. Applying all over the place may really be his best bet.
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 07:38:49 PM »
[I can't beat 8 waitlists, but I don't know what is worse. 8 WLs or awaiting 10 responsses? At this point, basically it's the same thing. ]

Actually it's not the same...."waitlisted" means they've already looked at the application and decided that it's not good enough to be an "admit" unless enough other people they've admitted decline and then they will let you in.

Just not having a decision yet means they haven't gotten to your application or made any decision at all.  You could end up declined. You could end up waitlisted. Or, you could end up admitted and one of those people that the waitlisters will be hoping decline the invitation.

siehead

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 07:51:50 PM »
[I can't beat 8 waitlists, but I don't know what is worse. 8 WLs or awaiting 10 responsses? At this point, basically it's the same thing. ]

Actually it's not the same...."waitlisted" means they've already looked at the application and decided that it's not good enough to be an "admit" unless enough other people they've admitted decline and then they will let you in.

Just not having a decision yet means they haven't gotten to your application or made any decision at all. You could end up declined. You could end up waitlisted. Or, you could end up admitted and one of those people that the waitlisters will be hoping decline the invitation.
Butch, by saying it's basically the same thing, my guess is that the poster meant that at this point, a waitlist or no decision yet either way likely means an ultimate reject. Let's hope that's not true though, some waitlists are better than others, let's all use a bit of our remaining karma to get some of us deserving waitlisters into at least one of our desired schools, ok?

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 09:53:42 PM »
Can anyone top my 8 waitlists?

Fordham
UVA
W and L
W and M
ND
WUSTL
GW
Boston U

Talk about a kick in the nuts.
How about a rejection from former FTT, now TTT Michigan State University... Don't get much worse than that.
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse