Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: Bush to the Nation Tonight  (Read 4578 times)

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bush to the Nation Tonight
« on: May 24, 2004, 08:10:38 PM »
So far (he is still speaking) the biggest thing I have noticed is he doesn't sound as dumb as he usually does.  Don't get me wrong - I am no fan of Bush - but he actually has gotten better at public speaking.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 08:23:09 PM »
i cant wait to see fahrenheit 9/11 from michael moore.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 08:32:11 PM »
I'm curious about that as well.  Saw Bowling for Columbine and hated it.  However, possibly will like it since I don't like Bush...

dta

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 12:15:31 AM »
OK. I know this sounds crazy at first, and I actually broached the subject as a joke to my wife last night. But the more I joked about it the more I started to convince myself it could actually work:

Jeb Bartlett from the "West Wing" for President

Yes, yes. I know he's a character on a show. But Martin Sheen knows this character REALLY REALLY well. Why couldn't we vote for Martin Sheen contingent upon his acting like Bartlett, not himself. Sheen's got this character down cold - he could play the part 24 hours a day for 4 years. Hire the whole writing staff, they could help him stay in character.

Yes, silly ... but sometimes i wonder ...

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 09:52:14 AM »
My impression was that he was reading the words without understanding what he was saying or why. The inflections just weren't right at certain points.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 09:53:38 AM »
i think he needs to get new speech writers.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jamie_va

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 10:02:37 AM »
dta: the question is - could we also have Leo as Chief of staff?

Bartlet for President

calvin

• 3.6 gpa, UC Berkeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 09:31:41 PM »
i thought "bowling for columbine" was entertaining, and i am looking forward to watching "fahrenheit 911."  but i watch them as michael moore's own commentaries on american society, etc., and not really because i think he's telling "the truth," despite what he says.  the guy's had a history of, um, i guess you could say bending the facts to fit his own politics.  his flicks ("documentaries") are still pretty entertaining (he does some crazy things), but as far as presenting the facts in an objective light, i don't think he's exactly very trustworthy.  check out this recent article that showed up on daypop.com today:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/127ujhuf.asp
"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."

buster

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:46:41 PM »
I'd vote for Senator Jay Billington Bulworth in a heartbeat.

OK. I know this sounds crazy at first, and I actually broached the subject as a joke to my wife last night. But the more I joked about it the more I started to convince myself it could actually work:

Jeb Bartlett from the "West Wing" for President

Yes, yes. I know he's a character on a show. But Martin Sheen knows this character REALLY REALLY well. Why couldn't we vote for Martin Sheen contingent upon his acting like Bartlett, not himself. Sheen's got this character down cold - he could play the part 24 hours a day for 4 years. Hire the whole writing staff, they could help him stay in character.

Yes, silly ... but sometimes i wonder ...

buster

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 09:51:43 PM »
I like Moore, but I know he's done his share of exaggeration-for-effect (I further admit that even that may be a generous interpretation). The Weekly Standard, though, isn't exactly a bastion of journalistic integrity, and Fred Barnes isn't exactly Honest Abe.

i thought "bowling for columbine" was entertaining, and i am looking forward to watching "fahrenheit 911."  but i watch them as michael moore's own commentaries on american society, etc., and not really because i think he's telling "the truth," despite what he says.  the guy's had a history of, um, i guess you could say bending the facts to fit his own politics.  his flicks ("documentaries") are still pretty entertaining (he does some crazy things), but as far as presenting the facts in an objective light, i don't think he's exactly very trustworthy.  check out this recent article that showed up on daypop.com today:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/004/127ujhuf.asp