Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You have GOT to be kidding me...Hastings  (Read 2953 times)

JulesSF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You have GOT to be kidding me...Hastings
« on: March 29, 2005, 08:34:12 PM »
decision 3/27, numbers below
166 / 3.5
He loves me: ATTENDING: GWU $$ (obvi)
He loves me not: NU, GULC, UVA, UCLA
He decides not to decide: U Mich (WL)
Preemptive dump: BC, UC Hastings, USC

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: You have GOT to be kidding me...Hastings
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 08:37:39 PM »
I'm really suprised, and sorry to hear it wasn't an acceptance. Do you know what place you are or if Hastings historically pulls from their waitlist?

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 08:39:22 PM »
oh i'm sorry jules, that sucks! and if you got a waitlist, i'm out for sure...

flossy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goddamn monkey stole my sandwich!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - flossy_kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 08:40:10 PM »
They definitely accept people off the WL, but it can be as late as July and August.  Sometimes even a couple of days before classes start.

I'm really surprised by this decision, your numbers are squarely within their accepted applicant range.  I'm screwed.
Mellow like jello, cool like lemonade.

JulesSF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 08:48:46 PM »
Hey guys, go ahead and line up your questions, I'm super pissed off and am going to go work off some of the anger, hopefully I'll return with a little composure and some answers...
166 / 3.5

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 09:39:47 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the waitlist, that is crazy  ???
But as flossy mentioned, Hastings is one school that I know actually does accept off of the waitlist. A friend of mine was accepted off of the waitlist 3 years ago, he mailed in a letter indicating his desire to go there and was accepted - although it was less than 3 weeks before school started.
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

JulesSF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 10:19:43 PM »
ok now that i'm good and sweaty this is what the letter reads:

Dear JulesSF,

The University of California Hastings College of the Law is in the enviable position of having received more intriguing applications than we have class positions at this time. Consequently, I am pleased to offer you a place on our wait list for the fall 2005 entering class. It is my expectation that there will be an opportunity to select a number of students from this list throughout the summer.

Indicate your interest in this offer by returning the enclosed reply card within three weeks of the date of this letter. Should you have plans to attend another law school, I would very much like to know your choice. The inclusion of your summer contact information is vitally important, as all offers of admission will be made by telephone.

For further information, please refer to the enclosed Wait List Requirements sheet. I sincerely hope you are willing to wait awhile longer for a final decision from us.

Best regards,

Suzanne Knight Carlson
Director of Enrollment Management

Other pertinent info from the supplemental sheet:

further decisions will be made between May and August, but mostly between mid-July to mid-August. And they do NOT want more material for your file, except new grades.

HTH
166 / 3.5

flossy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goddamn monkey stole my sandwich!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - flossy_kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 01:26:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing JulesSF.  I bummed for both of us (I went to Decision last weekend, but your numbers blow mine out of the water).

Are you going to wait through the summer before making a final decision on where to attend?
Mellow like jello, cool like lemonade.

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 05:49:28 AM »
i'm in with numbers inferior to yours. here's my theory. hastings (and a couple of other great schools) is on a sociological mission to provide legal education to people who have had significant challenges on their route to law school.  in other words, urm or poor. i'm the latter. i think american is another one of these schools. i've said in other threads that i think they could rise significantly in the rankings if they were a bit less idealistic. their numbers certainly aren't going to go up if they accept, for example, me and reject people with numbers like yours, jules. good luck with the waitlist if hastings is where you really want to go. maybe i'll see you in class!

sakura

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 11:30:30 AM »
I'm very sorry, Jules.  I go back and forth between being shocked and depressed.  This is no good at all.  Thanks for sharing.