Law School Discussion

rankings dont mean shi%

Tony Brooks1

• none
    • View Profile
    • info
rankings dont mean shi%
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:35:01 PM »
thats what everyone who's actually at law school and has graduated has told me...

it seems that the only people concerned with them are peeps on this board..

am i wrong?

dave303

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
Re: rankings dont mean shi%
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:37:31 PM »
So its a bad idea to go to a top 10 school?

Tony Brooks1

• none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 06:29:09 PM »
dave...read a tad closer..i didn't say that

TheFinch

• 167/3.38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 07:24:38 PM »
Yes. You and your friend are both nuts.  If you are looking for a basic idea of the terrain, why wouldn't you want to know how different schools stack up to one another?  Should you decide strictly upon rankings?  Absolutely not.  The difference between to spots is negligible.  But, if you're like me and you've got very little prior knowledge to referene when a school sends you mail and email saying they want to give you $78k and a laptop if you'll go there, it's nice to know that school is viewed by lawyers, judges, etc.. The black and white fallacy of this argument has been flogged over and over on these boards.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 08:16:39 PM »
I say yes, and no. I think that the relative positions and broad groupings matter, but the "actual rank" and yearly movement in rank doesn't. (top-10, tier 2 is helpful, while "Michigan fell from 7 to 8 this year, *&^%! guess i'm not going there now." is not).

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 08:19:34 PM »
Obviously rankings are significant to some unknown extent.  Your comment suggests harvard=UNC=Syracuse=Cooley.  Rankings generally reflect student body quality, employment statistics, faculty quality, and other legitimate factors.  Admittedly they are not exact, but they certainly should not be dismissed completely.  If rankings don't mean $hit, why arent there any Cooley grad supreme court clerks? (note: i'm assuming there aren't; if there are I'll pi$$ myself)

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 08:25:18 PM »
I bet rankings aren't as important as the posters on these boards would lead you to believe.  That said, I was once browsing through job postings throughout the entertainment industry (TV and movie studios, record labels, etc.) looking for internships, and noticed some of the listings for attorney positions.  Some of them said they preferred grads of top 20 schools.  (Was about a year ago and I wasn't giving it much thought so I don't remember details)

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 08:33:10 PM »
I also remember looking through some job listings, Craigs List I think, where attorney positions were offered, requesting that only graduates of top law schools apply.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 01:28:29 AM »
I also remember looking through some job listings, Craigs List I think, where attorney positions were offered, requesting that only graduates of top law schools apply.

craigs list, a free listing site for roommates to pet adoption, was looking for harvard grads at law firms? please...

they matter, but once you get out of the fish bowl they all seem....less life or death like they do now.

i felt all intense about undergrad rankings back in the day. now i look at them to see how things are going, but up, down, it doesnt affect my opinion of a school

Snuvy

• Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 02:08:12 AM »
Tbone is an invalid and lives under a bridge waiting for goats.

that being said, i've also done some job searching and came up with these findings:

1. a ton of employers say "Top 20" only, however

2. many many students from non-T20 schools get top jobs

3. thus, rankings matter in so much as it may help you get a job, or help you qualify for a job, but it's the PERSON that gets the job.

i hope that makes sense.  it takes more than a number to get a job, it takes a person who is capable and willing.  i mean just because it says T20, doesn't mean you shouldn't go after it, if you feel it is what you want.