Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attorney Johnnie Cochran has died in California after an illness  (Read 5434 times)

TBoneUCLA

Re: Attorney Johnnie Cochran has died in California after an illness
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 09:08:15 PM »
Yall aint nothing but haters!  >:( Give props where props are due. Geronimo Pratt surely wasn't rich and the system definatelty didn't want to release him from it grip but Johnnie was such a skillful and brilliant attorney that he was able to expose the injustice.

Forreal!!!

HBCU thanks for regulating. They forgot that this is BLSDB. We dont play that.

wait wait wait. i guess i am confused...

thanks for regulating? we dont play that?

so because this is the black law student board my opinions of JC are not welcome? or not valid?

is THAT really the spirit of diveristy in the law? or is that just as bad as law schools not allowing black students a good 50 years ago...sounds like the same problem, but with a different majority.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 09:10:25 PM »
Say, TBone...

Do you want to show some respect for a man who just died or do you want to argue about race?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 09:14:04 PM »
Say, TBone...

Do you want to show some respect for a man who just died or do you want to argue about race?

well first of all i would like my question answered as to why my opinion of his career is being rejected on the fact that "this is the blsdb" and "we dont play that"

vs

a discussion of his career and why i may be wrong in saying i dont find him to be the "hero" that others do. thats all.

obviously i am not the one that brought up race here. not at all.

but i feel the race card being thrown in my face. and it doesnt feel good. i am sure you know what i am talking about

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 09:15:31 PM »
Yall aint nothing but haters!  >:( Give props where props are due. Geronimo Pratt surely wasn't rich and the system definatelty didn't want to release him from it grip but Johnnie was such a skillful and brilliant attorney that he was able to expose the injustice.

Forreal!!!

so because this is the black law student board my opinions of JC are not welcome? or not valid?

is THAT really the spirit of diveristy in the law? or is that just as bad as law schools not allowing black students a good 50 years ago...sounds like the same problem, but with a different majority.

Man shut ya dumbass up.

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 09:18:28 PM »
now that is the quality response i would only expect from a future law student  ::)

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 09:31:42 PM »
Yall aint nothing but haters!  >:( Give props where props are due. Geronimo Pratt surely wasn't rich and the system definatelty didn't want to release him from it grip but Johnnie was such a skillful and brilliant attorney that he was able to expose the injustice.

Forreal!!!

Valid?? Maybe
Welcome? Hell Naw if its not in the spirit of Recognizing what our brother has done for Black people. Thats like someone bum rushin' a cousin or friends funeral talking about he was this or that, and then letting him finish talkin crazy, because its in the spirit of free speech, eff That!!!!!!!!

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »
All of us can only pray to EVER possess the oral skills Johnnie had. 

Go in peace, bro.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 09:45:53 PM »
So in the same light I think Johnnie Cochran was a great legal strategist but I don't think that he was a hero in any way, and he doesn't have to be to be respected.

He doesn't have to be respected?  Respect is due to people because of their humanity, not because they have met some of your personal criteria.  ::)

I guess you really meant that you don't have to respect his career trajectory. I respectfully disagree with you on that point.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 10:01:47 PM »

Come one thats pretty naive, due to their humanity??, who do we really as a society respect due to their humanity? And where does 'met some of my criteria' originate from? did I present some criteria for evaluation and him meeting it because of which I deemed him as a respected legal strategist? I didn't present any criteria, I just stated that I thought him to be so.
So in the same light I think Johnnie Cochran was a great legal strategist but I don't think that he was a hero in any way, and he doesn't have to be to be respected.

He doesn't have to be respected?  Respect is due to people because of their humanity, not because they have met some of your personal criteria.  ::)

I guess you really meant that you don't have to respect his career trajectory. I respectfully disagree with you on that point.

Hehe...you're right - unfortunately in our society we don't respect people just because we should.  That doesn't make it right.  And so I'm calling you out.  Come on - it's pretty callous and illogical to say that just because people do or don't do something that makes it right or wrong.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 10:04:17 PM »
That man will go down in history as one of the greatest to ever step foot in a court room.

RIP

Watching Johnnie work made me want to be a lawyer. I admire him and am inspired by him. I don't care what others say, I think that he was an amazing lawyer and was great for the Black community.