Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If they say a letter is in the mail.....  (Read 418 times)

ch537

• AOL Instant Messenger - ch537
    • View Profile
    • Email
If they say a letter is in the mail.....
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:03:14 PM »
Alright so I called and they said that a letter was in the mail and should be received shortly.   I am thinking that if it was an acceptance that she would have just told me that I was accepted, and since she didnt, that it is a rejection or waitlist.   Any thoughts on whether this is true?
Accepted: Kentucky, Mississippi (attending)
Pending: Georgia, Georgia State
Rejected: Alabama, Wake Forest
Waitlisted: Vanderbilt, Tennessee
Withdrawn & yet still received a rejection letter a month later: Emory
Withdrawn:  Florida
Undergrad: University of Chicago

superhero

• View Profile
Re: If they say a letter is in the mail.....
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:06:58 PM »
Alright so I called and they said that a letter was in the mail and should be received shortly.   I am thinking that if it was an acceptance that she would have just told me that I was accepted, and since she didnt, that it is a rejection or waitlist.   Any thoughts on whether this is true?

Honestly, no way of telling. However, I would guess that you are correct in your thinking.

Confused1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:19:51 PM »
OK, now I know this is going to sound like a strange question but honestly what is your take on this?

I call Syrcause to check on the status of my application.  The guy I give my info to takes it down and then transfers me to a lady.  The lady picks up and says that I should be hearing within two weeks and to please call back if I don't by then.

Besides the obvious, does that mean anything?

Largemonk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:57:44 PM »

No. It means nothing. Some schools will tell you your decision over the phone and some will not. Don't read anything into it.

OK, now I know this is going to sound like a strange question but honestly what is your take on this?

I call Syrcause to check on the status of my application. The guy I give my info to takes it down and then transfers me to a lady. The lady picks up and says that I should be hearing within two weeks and to please call back if I don't by then.

Besides the obvious, does that mean anything?

This also means nothing. It means "if you don't get your letter in two weeks, call them back." 

Each school has a different way of operating. You can never make blanket statements about "admissions committees."  They all have their own variation on the process.  All you can do is make sure your file hasn't been lost. Now that you know they have your file, it's best to leave them alone.
158 (155+161)/3.1
Going to: Villanova
In:Rutgers-Camden $, Catholic, NYLS $, PSU $
WL: Cardozo, U MD, Brooklyn, St. John's
Out: American, BU, BC, UConn, Fordham, Georgetown PT, GW PT, Penn, Temple, George Mason, W&L
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alexknagy