Law School Discussion

Is Case Western worth 100k of debt?

Tony Brooks1

• none
    • View Profile
    • info
Re: Is Case Western worth 100k of debt?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 02:11:51 PM »
i'm curious how many times in an interview does an employer ask..."so what tier was your school ranked in us news and report the year you were admitted?"

i'm curious if you asked johnny cochran if he would know what tier his school was ranked the year he went there by us news and report...

my point is that this lame tier system doesnt matter...

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 10:02:11 PM »
Case has an excellent national reputation and it's definately worth your loans.
A friend of mine is clerking in Philadelphia, having graduated Case in 2000
and he has already paid back __ALL__of his loans. He also lives in Rittenhouse.

ryanjm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »
Wow. I'm shocked they're rated so highly. Still, $30,000 is a lot compared to similarly ranked state schools.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 11:11:43 AM »
i'm curious how many times in an interview does an employer ask..."so what tier was your school ranked in us news and report the year you were admitted?"

i'm curious if you asked johnny cochran if he would know what tier his school was ranked the year he went there by us news and report...

Thank you Tony.  You people are obsessed over these rankings.  I think its more about how you do at the school you chose to go to, not about the school you go too.  I mean, does someone who barely passes  from a Tier one school have a better shot at getting a job then the person who places in the top 5 at a Tier 4 school????

Eegahh

• MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 02:13:41 PM »

Thank you Tony.  You people are obsessed over these rankings.  I think its more about how you do at the school you chose to go to, not about the school you go too.  I mean, does someone who barely passes  from a Tier one school have a better shot at getting a job then the person who places in the top 5 at a Tier 4 school????

Well, yeah, depending on the schools.  You'd better believe that someone near the bottom of the class at Harvard can get a better job than someone near the top of the class at Cooley.  Even if you're talking about a school nearer the bottom of T-1, I'd imagine that still holds.  And yes, there are certainly people who come out of bottom-ranked schools that end up eventually making good money, but that's the exception not the rule. 

As far as employers asking about the ranking of your school, of course they don't.  I'm willing to bet, however, that just about every hiring partner at a law firm does have a general idea of whether a given school is great, good, okay, lousy, or 'good god why did you go to the university of puerto rico?!?', and a good degree of that perception is formed by the rankings.  It seems like a lot of people scream foul at this for some reason, but I don't see why.  Most graduating law students have never had a full-time legal job.  If it's a decent firm they're going to see a lot of people with law review, internships and the like.  They just don't make you that special.  So what else do they have to evaluate you?  The quality of your school.

okay, end rant mode.

Troy McClure

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 03:26:01 PM »

That's not a very good comparason.  How about the top person at Harvard versus the top person at a tier 4?  Or someone in the middle of the class at Harvard versus middle of the pack at a tier 4?  Better yet, would you rather be the bottom of the class at Harvard or bottom of the class at a 4th tier?

That is why rankings matter.  It's very stupid to assume you'll be at or near the top of any school.  When considering a school, you have to see the placement for the average student.  How do they do?  If the prospects of being a middle of the pack graduate at a school scares you, I'd be very reluctant to attend that school.

Looking at Case, I think I can get a good job even if I'm not a stellar graduate.  The same can't be said for some schools that are lower ranked.

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 07:33:23 PM »
umm... what is the other school out of curiosity. No, 30K more isn't much, but how much of a difference is there in the schools. Does one have something the other does not? Do you like the area of one better? Which one admits more good looking girls?

Also, in reference to

good ole Johnny is dead and probably wouldn't say much. Jeffry Fieger went to what was a t4 and just moved up to a t3 - MSU