Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Case Western worth 100k of debt?  (Read 1736 times)

rogue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is Case Western worth 100k of debt?
« on: March 29, 2005, 01:22:07 PM »
I've been looking at Case Western and received a scholarship there, however, even with the scholarship I'll rack up over 100k of debt if I attend there. Is Case Western worth that? I'm comparing that with another school that is a little lower ranked but where I would probably end up with about 70k of debt. What are your thoughts?

RocketBot

Re: Is Case Western worth 100k of debt?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 02:31:34 PM »
Case has a solid reputation but I doubt it carries much further than lower ranked school outside of the Midwest.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:05:39 PM »
In the long term (over your 40 year career) an extra $30K of debt won't matter. Go to the better school.

You also don't have to pay your loans off in 10 years.  My coworker is on the 25 year plan.  The interest is so low that he really doesn't care about it right now.  He's at the beginning of his career and isn't making as much as he will later.

rogue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts. Anybody else?

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 06:31:07 PM »
i think its a great school but i didnt wanna go into that much debt to live in an area that i thought sucked..
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 09:10:44 PM »
I live in Cleveland. I know several lawyers that graduated from Case, and several that went to Cleveland-Marshall. One family I know had a son that went to Cleveland-Marshall and the dad went to Case. It was decided that Case was not worth the extra cost. If you compare the two schools, Case is 30,000/yr and Marshall is 12,000/yr. It's not worth the extra 60,000 to attend Case in my opinion.

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 06:59:28 AM »
It's not worth the extra 60,000 to attend Case in my opinion.

Yeah, well, you forget one thing.  I'm going to be there (probably).  I mean, that's got to be worth something, right? ...right?
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 12:06:41 PM »
Since Cleveland Marshall is tier 3, it's reputation is probably very local.  Case Western's is better if you don't plan on staying in Ohio I would assume.  Either way, good luck to all of you!

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 04:55:43 PM »
Yes, case has more of a national rep...if you can consider lower T-2 national...still, you have to wonder if 60,000 is worth the chance of having a slightly better national rep. I'd say if you're looking outside of Tier-1 schools, you shouldn't be looking for national reps anyway.

steelcity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 05:00:25 PM »
Yes, case has more of a national rep...if you can consider lower T-2 national...still, you have to wonder if 60,000 is worth the chance of having a slightly better national rep. I'd say if you're looking outside of Tier-1 schools, you shouldn't be looking for national reps anyway.

According to this year's rankings, Case is Tier-1.