Law School Discussion

Northwestern Admitted Students Day

KristyB

Re: Northwestern Admitted Students Day
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2005, 07:42:49 AM »
um... NU Law isnt up in Evanston.  It's right downtown.... so i'm not sure about pretty.

Not in Evanston? Huh. Weird. Cuz I was there all day.  ::)

The surrounding med schools aren't much to look at, but I thought the old building's exterior was lovely and the view across Lake Michigan was gorgeous. Thus: pretty.

Did you guys realize that this was sarcastic? Hence the  ::) 

I haven't been to that area of Chicago in a few years but I certainly think it's pretty from what I remember.  The Chicago waterfront is very nice, IMO.  Actually, the location of the school is something that is making it sound appealing.

The thing that is drawing me towards NU the most is the philosophy behind their curriculum.  I am surprised that they offer 1L's an elective.  It isn't common at other schools.

sarbinson

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2005, 08:48:58 AM »
future, I don't know where you get your info from about which school has such a great advantage in reputation. Based on your statements, I have to assume you gained your insights here.

The reality is that schools 6 to 14 offer virtually the same career opps. The only advantage might be when going out of a traditional market, such as a GULC student going to Chicago or Calif because top legal employers like to have a cross section of students from top schools so a GULC student would be exotic in those markets.

In Chicago, there is absolutely no difference in the opportunities for NU or U of C grads. In fact, many employers say they prefer NU grads because U of C grads lack the social skills to deal with clients and coworkers. While I think that is probably just a bad stereotype, I've heard more than one recruiter say that. 

When deciding between schools 6 to 14, or 5 to 14 outside of NYC, plus the top regional school in a particular market, the main consideration should be where a student will enjoy himself or herself most for three years. Three years can fly by when you are happy, or seem to last forever if you aren't.

Facilities really don't matter much. The keys are classmates you'll enjoy and a city that offers the types of recreation you like. Law school takes up such a minute part of the week after first semester that you'll need to have people and places that you find fun to get through the other 2.5 years.

aname,

This is interesting to me.  I've heard so many people say the whole three years you spend studying, and some say after the first year (or semester) it's not as hard.  Chicago has so much great stuff to do I find it hard to believe there's anyone who wouldn't enjoy the city, discounting the weather which is not something to ignore completely if you hate the cold.  Are you a recent law school grad? 

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2005, 09:04:16 PM »
sarbinson,

Law school is a joke. Easiest thing you'll ever do. I am a soon-to-be-graduating 3L.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2005, 03:33:43 PM »
um... NU Law isnt up in Evanston.  It's right downtown.... so i'm not sure about pretty.

Not in Evanston? Huh. Weird. Cuz I was there all day.  ::)

The surrounding med schools aren't much to look at, but I thought the old building's exterior was lovely and the view across Lake Michigan was gorgeous. Thus: pretty.

sorry to go totally off topic, but i think the Aon building (formerly the Amoco building) is over 100 stories tall.  it's the second tallest building in chicago.
Agreed.  In fact, the entire downtown area is very pretty.  I don't know any other city in the country with such a profound blend of old and new architecture.  My friend who lives there told me Chicago is the only city in the world with 3 buildings over 100 stories, but I never figured out what the 3rd one was.  Anyone know?

The only two currently stand buildings at or above 100 stories in Chicago that I know of are the Sears Tower (110) and the John Hancock building (100). I think Donald Trump's new tower will probably be 100 stories, although that hasn't been built yet.

sarbinson

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2005, 09:22:47 PM »
sarbinson,

Law school is a joke. Easiest thing you'll ever do. I am a soon-to-be-graduating 3L.

Thanks aname, still not sure about going but it's nice to hear from somebody who didn't consider ritual suicide during 1L.  Did you go somewhere in the Chicago area? 

3 years is a lot of time to give up but it would be nice to have a network like the Northwestern students seem to have.

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2005, 09:38:02 PM »
sarbinson,

Thanks aname, still not sure about going but it's nice to hear from somebody who didn't consider ritual suicide during 1L.  Did you go somewhere in the Chicago area? 

3 years is a lot of time to give up but it would be nice to have a network like the Northwestern students seem to have.

Um, I wouldn't take his advice too much to heart if I were you.  He *may* have been being slightly facetious.   

sarbinson

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2005, 06:16:34 PM »
sarbinson,

Um, I wouldn't take his advice too much to heart if I were you.  He *may* have been being slightly facetious.   

Well I won't hold it against him if I go and want to jump off the Sears Tower (or the more convenient Hancock Building).  Hey, as long as I graduate- the fact is that everybody going there is smart and somebody has to be at the bottom.  I would rather be the absolute bottom than say, in the bottom 10 percent.  That's just me I guess.  A good friend of mine finished third from the bottom at IU Bloomington and he agrees.

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2005, 03:17:08 PM »
Burgh, I was not even being slightly facetious. You'll see soon enough.

lsatposter

• Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2005, 04:16:06 PM »
Is anyone considering NU from the NY metro? I really like Chicago, but still I felt a little land locked (even w/ the lake). Is this sorta bothering anyone else? Its far from either coast

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2005, 05:03:59 PM »
Is anyone considering NU from the NY metro? I really like Chicago, but still I felt a little land locked (even w/ the lake). Is this sorta bothering anyone else? Its far from either coast

Coming from NYC must be nice - the outrageous rent in Chicago probably seems affordable!