Law School Discussion

Northwestern Admitted Students Day

Re: Northwestern Admitted Students Day
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2005, 10:50:40 PM »
Burgh:
Is it that employers don't get to see rank or that there is no rank?

My understanding is that there is no rank, and employers do not get to see GPA prior to the interview. 

If it's like Michigan you get ranked after graduation (so law firms don't see it until they've already hired you
hopefully).  They do get to see your GPA though, and after years of seeing them, I'm sure they have a pretty
good idea what they mean.

That may be the case, but at NU employers definitely don't get to see either rank or GPA prior to the interview.  Interviews are assigned on a lottery basis, so that employers can't limit their selection to the upper 10 or 25% of the class. 

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2005, 10:51:42 PM »
Umm, futurecongress, Stevens is an NU alum.

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2005, 11:00:33 PM »
[quote author=sarbinson link=topic=29906.msg451583#msg451583 date=1112503539
One thing I noticed- little shallow but... do you agree there was a disproportionately high number of attractive women there?  I know, I know, there's no time for a personal life in law school...

Takes a mental note. Suddenly, NU is quickly climbing in my list of top choices:)

ok i will give you that ;).i had gone to visit nu's campus a few years back and i did notice the women were better looking...but the campus is a bit too midwestern, corn-fed and "cookie-cutter" looking for me - to be honest the women kind of are too...if you want real eye-candy, you should check out the women at UCLA, USC and NYU...who look like they have stepped off a runway. yikes my girlfriend would kill me if she reads this... ;D

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2005, 11:05:45 PM »
Umm, futurecongress, Stevens is an NU alum.

sorry you are right he went to uchicago for undergrad...paul wolfowitz did however go to  law school at chicago though, so add him instead (and remember politics aside)

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2005, 11:14:07 PM »
Cons:

NU = not necessarily the top school even in the Chicago market

Come on, you can't hold this against NU.  How many cities have TWO T14 schools?  Two: New York and Chicago.  You think anyone hesitates about going to NYU because they worry about Columbia stealing all the job offers, or vice versa?  Besides, even if the University of Chicago is "ahead" of NU in the Chicago legal market, what does that mean?  It only means that Chicago carries slightly more prestige than NU... No firm that recruits at Chicago is going to exclude NU, so you'll have the same opportunities. 

I was just stating a point an attorney I work with brought up.  DC is a pretty crowded market (with many law schools) and GULC is has the highest prestige in most programs so it gets the most attention out of DC schools. He and many others have questioned why I didn't get into Chicago (I didn't apply) and they seemed to think there was some similar notion in the legal community that Northwestern was like somehow lesser than Chicago.

i have heard the same exact thing. chicago seems like more of a sure thing with careers, it is a powerhouse, look at the people chicago law has produced (your politics aside, many are very prominent on the national landscape - John Ashcroft and John Paul Stevens are Chicago alumni, Antonin Scalia taught there, Carol Mosley-Braun got her JD there too - also it has the highest amount of Nobel Prize winners in the last few decades). whereas nu is a good school, but it doesn't seem to have that punch. Northwestern to me is the same reputation wise as UVA, UCLA or UW - great schools, people will acknowledge you went to a good school, but not exactly anything that stands out competing with HYS, Chicago, NYU and Columbia alumni (the resume double-take schools).

I disagree about the NYU resume double take.  It doesn't have that high of a reputation according the the USNews (I think it's tied for 8th).

yes but i think reputation and rank are different. for example i think Georgetown's reputation far exceeds Northwestern, however it is ranked below NU. on US News NYU is number 5, i think. It goes YHS, Columbia, NYU and Chicago

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2005, 11:26:03 PM »
Cons:

NU = not necessarily the top school even in the Chicago market

Come on, you can't hold this against NU.  How many cities have TWO T14 schools?  Two: New York and Chicago.  You think anyone hesitates about going to NYU because they worry about Columbia stealing all the job offers, or vice versa?  Besides, even if the University of Chicago is "ahead" of NU in the Chicago legal market, what does that mean?  It only means that Chicago carries slightly more prestige than NU... No firm that recruits at Chicago is going to exclude NU, so you'll have the same opportunities. 

I was just stating a point an attorney I work with brought up.  DC is a pretty crowded market (with many law schools) and GULC is has the highest prestige in most programs so it gets the most attention out of DC schools. He and many others have questioned why I didn't get into Chicago (I didn't apply) and they seemed to think there was some similar notion in the legal community that Northwestern was like somehow lesser than Chicago.

i have heard the same exact thing. chicago seems like more of a sure thing with careers, it is a powerhouse, look at the people chicago law has produced (your politics aside, many are very prominent on the national landscape - John Ashcroft and John Paul Stevens are Chicago alumni, Antonin Scalia taught there, Carol Mosley-Braun got her JD there too - also it has the highest amount of Nobel Prize winners in the last few decades). whereas nu is a good school, but it doesn't seem to have that punch. Northwestern to me is the same reputation wise as UVA, UCLA or UW - great schools, people will acknowledge you went to a good school, but not exactly anything that stands out competing with HYS, Chicago, NYU and Columbia alumni (the resume double-take schools).

I disagree about the NYU resume double take.  It doesn't have that high of a reputation according the the USNews (I think it's tied for 8th).

yes but i think reputation and rank are different. for example i think Georgetown's reputation far exceeds Northwestern, however it is ranked below NU. on US News NYU is number 5, i think. It goes YHS, Columbia, NYU and Chicago

actually, i was thinking about it, and i am WRONG there really is no point in comparing. once you are in a good school, no matter which one it is - it becomes what you make of it, and what is right for you. i think this discussion of comparison and sweeping generalization is a bit futile, and pointless, so let me apologize for my dimwitted comparisons and if i offended anyone. nu is a wonderful school, and i am lucky to have been accepted there. 

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2005, 11:52:41 PM »
future, I don't know where you get your info from about which school has such a great advantage in reputation. Based on your statements, I have to assume you gained your insights here.

The reality is that schools 6 to 14 offer virtually the same career opps. The only advantage might be when going out of a traditional market, such as a GULC student going to Chicago or Calif because top legal employers like to have a cross section of students from top schools so a GULC student would be exotic in those markets.

In Chicago, there is absolutely no difference in the opportunities for NU or U of C grads. In fact, many employers say they prefer NU grads because U of C grads lack the social skills to deal with clients and coworkers. While I think that is probably just a bad stereotype, I've heard more than one recruiter say that. 

When deciding between schools 6 to 14, or 5 to 14 outside of NYC, plus the top regional school in a particular market, the main consideration should be where a student will enjoy himself or herself most for three years. Three years can fly by when you are happy, or seem to last forever if you aren't.

Facilities really don't matter much. The keys are classmates you'll enjoy and a city that offers the types of recreation you like. Law school takes up such a minute part of the week after first semester that you'll need to have people and places that you find fun to get through the other 2.5 years.

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2005, 08:13:04 AM »
um... NU Law isnt up in Evanston.  It's right downtown.... so i'm not sure about pretty.

Not in Evanston? Huh. Weird. Cuz I was there all day.  ::)

The surrounding med schools aren't much to look at, but I thought the old building's exterior was lovely and the view across Lake Michigan was gorgeous. Thus: pretty.

Agreed.  In fact, the entire downtown area is very pretty.  I don't know any other city in the country with such a profound blend of old and new architecture.  My friend who lives there told me Chicago is the only city in the world with 3 buildings over 100 stories, but I never figured out what the 3rd one was.  Anyone know?

ilsox7

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2005, 08:17:38 AM »
um... NU Law isnt up in Evanston.  It's right downtown.... so i'm not sure about pretty.

Not in Evanston? Huh. Weird. Cuz I was there all day.  ::)

The surrounding med schools aren't much to look at, but I thought the old building's exterior was lovely and the view across Lake Michigan was gorgeous. Thus: pretty.

NU Law certainly is not in Evanston.  Not even close, really.  I really hope you didn't go thru a whole weekend thinking you were in Evanston!  Good luck...it's a good school.

ilsox7

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2005, 08:23:57 AM »
Celarkobri,

Just curious if you were chosing NU over UM.