Law School Discussion

Northwestern Admitted Students Day

Re: Northwestern Admitted Students Day
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2005, 08:57:47 PM »
I went to both the admitted students day at Northwestern (but left early) and the feature friday at U of Chi the day before. Though there were only 7 of us at chi, I was surprised that there weren't more of these students at NU... for whatever that is worth.  Contrary to what others have said, I think the facilities at Chi are top-notch (mind you this is coming fresh off a visit to BU) and as for the students, I once read in some law school book that basically the smarter you are, the cooler you are.  This seems to be an accurate assessment.  I was absolutely blown away by the students there.  My host at U of Chi was exceptional which made the day more enjoyable as well.  I also liked the class I sat in on at Chi better than NU's, but that doesn't really mean too much at this point.  Anyway, UCLA has been my top choice all along and I thought I would go to Chi and not like either school, but I was wrong and am now planning on going to the admitted students day at UCLA to make sure I am not making the wrong choice.  I was thoroughly impressed by both NU and U of Chi.

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 09:01:15 PM »
I went to both the admitted students day at Northwestern (but left early) and the feature friday at U of Chi the day before. Though there were only 7 of us at chi, I was surprised that there weren't more of these students at NU... for whatever that is worth.  Contrary to what others have said, I think the facilities at Chi are top-notch (mind you this is coming fresh off a visit to BU) and as for the students, I once read in some law school book that basically the smarter you are, the cooler you are.  This seems to be an accurate assessment.  I was absolutely blown away by the students there.  My host at U of Chi was exceptional which made the day more enjoyable as well.  I also liked the class I sat in on at Chi better than NU's, but that doesn't really mean too much at this point.  Anyway, UCLA has been my top choice all along and I thought I would go to Chi and not like either school, but I was wrong and am now planning on going to the admitted students day at UCLA to make sure I am not making the wrong choice.  I was thoroughly impressed by both NU and U of Chi.

So what's it gonna be?  Chicago or NU? (Taking UCLA out of the equation).

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2005, 09:05:29 PM »
Tough question... if I end up hating UCLA, I might honestly consider flipping a coin.

PS for girls who might be interested, the guys at NU were pretty attractive as well.

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2005, 09:29:16 PM »
PS for girls who might be interested, the guys at NU were pretty attractive as well.

Damn, just what I didn't need... stiff competition.  Seriously though, are the people at NU any more "attractive" than at any other law school?  I know a couple people have posted comments in this thread already.  If all the beautiful people really do go to NU, is it just coincidence that they're the one school who interviews every applicant first? :)

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2005, 09:35:22 PM »
Well I got in without an interview, must explain how they let a chubby chick like me in there...

sarbinson

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2005, 10:36:36 PM »
Well I got in without an interview, must explain how they let a chubby chick like me in there...

Finally, somebody else who didn't interview either.  I kept getting really funny looks from people- it seemed like they all asked about the interview for some reason.  I wouldn't have jumped out to them as a particularly attractive (physically) candidate either- good thing there was no interview for me then!

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2005, 10:41:09 PM »
Well I got in WITH an interview, so looks aren't a requisite for male applicants.  I don't know what to say about the proportion of beautiful women at admitted students day though - it probably is just a coincidence :)

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2005, 10:46:22 PM »
Cons:

NU = not necessarily the top school even in the Chicago market

Come on, you can't hold this against NU.  How many cities have TWO T14 schools?  Two: New York and Chicago.  You think anyone hesitates about going to NYU because they worry about Columbia stealing all the job offers, or vice versa?  Besides, even if the University of Chicago is "ahead" of NU in the Chicago legal market, what does that mean?  It only means that Chicago carries slightly more prestige than NU... No firm that recruits at Chicago is going to exclude NU, so you'll have the same opportunities. 

I was just stating a point an attorney I work with brought up.  DC is a pretty crowded market (with many law schools) and GULC is has the highest prestige in most programs so it gets the most attention out of DC schools. He and many others have questioned why I didn't get into Chicago (I didn't apply) and they seemed to think there was some similar notion in the legal community that Northwestern was like somehow lesser than Chicago.

i have heard the same exact thing. chicago seems like more of a sure thing with careers, it is a powerhouse, look at the people chicago law has produced (your politics aside, many are very prominent on the national landscape - John Ashcroft and John Paul Stevens are Chicago alumni, Antonin Scalia taught there, Carol Mosley-Braun got her JD there too - also it has the highest amount of Nobel Prize winners in the last few decades). whereas nu is a good school, but it doesn't seem to have that punch. Northwestern to me is the same reputation wise as UVA, UCLA or UW - great schools, people will acknowledge you went to a good school, but not exactly anything that stands out competing with HYS, Chicago, NYU and Columbia alumni (the resume double-take schools).

St. Shaun

• Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2005, 10:46:43 PM »
Burgh:
Is it that employers don't get to see rank or that there is no rank?

My understanding is that there is no rank, and employers do not get to see GPA prior to the interview. 

If it's like Michigan you get ranked after graduation (so law firms don't see it until they've already hired you
hopefully).  They do get to see your GPA though, and after years of seeing them, I'm sure they have a pretty
good idea what they mean.

St. Shaun

• Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2005, 10:48:54 PM »
Cons:

NU = not necessarily the top school even in the Chicago market

Come on, you can't hold this against NU.  How many cities have TWO T14 schools?  Two: New York and Chicago.  You think anyone hesitates about going to NYU because they worry about Columbia stealing all the job offers, or vice versa?  Besides, even if the University of Chicago is "ahead" of NU in the Chicago legal market, what does that mean?  It only means that Chicago carries slightly more prestige than NU... No firm that recruits at Chicago is going to exclude NU, so you'll have the same opportunities. 

I was just stating a point an attorney I work with brought up.  DC is a pretty crowded market (with many law schools) and GULC is has the highest prestige in most programs so it gets the most attention out of DC schools. He and many others have questioned why I didn't get into Chicago (I didn't apply) and they seemed to think there was some similar notion in the legal community that Northwestern was like somehow lesser than Chicago.

i have heard the same exact thing. chicago seems like more of a sure thing with careers, it is a powerhouse, look at the people chicago law has produced (your politics aside, many are very prominent on the national landscape - John Ashcroft and John Paul Stevens are Chicago alumni, Antonin Scalia taught there, Carol Mosley-Braun got her JD there too - also it has the highest amount of Nobel Prize winners in the last few decades). whereas nu is a good school, but it doesn't seem to have that punch. Northwestern to me is the same reputation wise as UVA, UCLA or UW - great schools, people will acknowledge you went to a good school, but not exactly anything that stands out competing with HYS, Chicago, NYU and Columbia alumni (the resume double-take schools).

I disagree about the NYU resume double take.  It doesn't have that high of a reputation according the the USNews (I think it's tied for 8th).