Law School Discussion

Northwestern Admitted Students Day

Lost in Translation

• Choosing the right law school: priceless!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern Admitted Students Day
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 10:54:40 AM »
[quote author=sarbinson link=topic=29906.msg451583#msg451583 date=1112503539
One thing I noticed- little shallow but... do you agree there was a disproportionately high number of attractive women there?  I know, I know, there's no time for a personal life in law school...

Takes a mental note. Suddenly, NU is quickly climbing in my list of top choices:)

sarbinson

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 11:46:48 AM »
Glad to hear another perspective on this.  Obviously all the students there have had a range of experiences.  Plus some of the L1s maybe are too close to the situation, studying for finals and it seems like the end of the world.  I'm a little underconfident maybe because I've been out of school a long time (like many people at NW) and I hardly remember what it's like to study.  Plus I got good grades in undergrad but in economics- it's not rocket science.  Coming from EE, I have a feeling you'll find law school comparatively much easier. 

What is the final day to make a decision?  I applied so late (March 23) that I just got my acceptance e-mail 3 days ago and have not received the info. packet.  I asked somebody there and was told it was around April 29. 

Did you catch how they divide people into groups of 60 for L1?  Nobody seemed to be very clear about this.  It seems like that could really impact your experience.  Fortunately I only encountered 2 raging egomaniacs out of the admitted students I met.  One of them said he initially ruled NW out because of all the purple on the web site and was still thinking Chicago because his numbers were too good to go to NW.  Uh huh...

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 09:15:46 PM »
I have to say that while I appreciated the presentations and the dinner and the events, I almost fell asleep multiple times just because of how looooooooong I was there!  I saw Burghblast (you may not have recognized him behind the glasses) and like 5 people I went to school with at Georgetown as well as another 5 people I saw at the GULC open house the day before.  I thought the ITP/Clerkship presentations and the presentation on career services were the best.  I thought DVZ went on a little long and the cirriculum discussion put me to sleep for at least a second or two.  I sat in on evidence and was less than impressed by the stick figure drawings on the overhead projector.  Also I felt really claustrophobic in some of the rooms....they were so dark!  The library and the upstairs rooms were much more inviting.  I am withholding my final judgement until I've done a SWOT analysis on all of my schools, but I'm not sure Northwestern is for me....

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 10:31:20 PM »
I saw Burghblast (you may not have recognized him behind the glasses)

Thanks for saying hi!  >:(

But I'm glad to know the disguise worked.

vivi

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 10:47:32 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info gusy. It's very helpful. I am wondering if any of you did a tour of housing through Student space, was it helpful? Will it really make it more reasonable to share a two bedroom apartmetn near school? Did you visit any of the buildings?

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 08:12:35 AM »
I saw Burghblast (you may not have recognized him behind the glasses)

Thanks for saying hi!  >:(

But I'm glad to know the disguise worked.

I'm good with faces.  Since I took my picture off awhile ago (and I'm constantly changing hair colors and cuts) I'm rarely recognized.  Besides, I don't really like "mixers" where you're forced to talk to people because I never come off as being very nice.  I took one of those personality tests once and in terms of approachability I scored a 2 out of 100.  Clearly you were better off focusing on the "pretty" girls than me  :P

I agree the room with the view on the third floor was excellent.  I just wish more rooms had some natural lighting!  While I understand the necessity of staying indoors during a Chicago winter, I'm not sure how I feel about staying in one building all day for months at a time.  Even at work I step outside once in awhile, if I had to do that and spend 3/4 of the day in a windowless room, I might become severly depressed.

Did anyone else think that laptop raffle was rigged?  I mean there were like 2 Northwestern undergrad people there and one of them wins the raffle?  Booo......I heard that the girl that won last year's raffle didn't go to Northwestern Law and they were pretty miffed about it, perhaps they thought they were hedging their bets?  :-X

sarbinson

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 09:42:32 AM »
So is anybody here definitely planning on going to NW?  Just curious... I'm really on the fence.  It seemed like most of the admitted attendees were already decided on going there.  I also definitely had a few inferiority twinges here and there so it's a good thing I'm not going to Chicago.  I get the feeling they'd carve up my internal organs the first day and sell them to buy coffee...

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 09:52:32 AM »
I'm waiting to make my decision until I've finished my school visits and hopefully heard something about financial aid.  I think Chicago could be a lot of fun, but I'm just not sure yet whether it's the place for me.  I could totally still go there though.

As a side note, I know what you mean about people being decided.  I overheard several people who said they were like 95%-99% sure about Northwestern and I sat next to a woman on the bus to dinner that had just given her seat deposit.  I was like "whoa, I am sooooo not there yet!"  I guess I didn't really talk to enough people to feel itimidated., I'm sure that everyone is bright or they wouldn't be considering such a good law school, but I don't think I was scared off by anyone or the general atmosphere.

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 10:34:28 AM »
I'm curious: Is anyone else who did NOT receive any financial aid at all considering NU?  And by "aid", I mean scholarships.  I know they consider loans to be some kind of "award", but I don't really see them as any kind of prize, since I have to pay it all back.   Would I be the only person going into $160K+ debt to attend NU?

qj

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 12:15:48 PM »
I would be going without aid but my only other option so far is G-town and it was not my cup of tea.  I thought the presentation on Financial Aid at NU was interesting and made things clear to me about how to pay off loans, etc. 

On a different track, I did recognize some people at both GULC and NU and know that I preferred NU.  Wondering what anyone else's thoughts are on the respective strengths.  Personally, I just don't think I can get over the massive size of GULC.  I think it would produce too much of a cutthroat environment and I cannot convince myself to go to a school just because the gym is so amazing.  (Although it is an amazing selling point.)