Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: Troll Blocker Plugin  (Read 2100 times)

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Troll Blocker Plugin
« on: May 24, 2004, 07:03:33 PM »
the best way of ignoring troll accounts is to have enough self-control and not respond to flames, irrelevance, trollish comments, etc.

I agree.

I think the program sounds interesting though, and it might be worth it just to try it.  I did look into the idea of an ignoring system on the board, but I just don't think it's feasible.  People can always create new accounts and use different computers, and conversations would cease making sense when everyone is responding to the troll (see quoted passage).

dta

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:41:37 PM »
Actually, for those I have in mind about adding to my personal troll ignore list, I cannot think of a single thread in which I would have lamented not being able to see the troll's posts. And specifically, for the person I have in mind, I know in fact I have received no positive value whatsoever from his posts. Again, my opinion. But that's the beauty of the app. Use it if you want. If you're worried about missing what some troll has to say, you could either not use the app or remove a troll from your ignore list after a while if you want to give him/her a second chance.

With respect to why this is important? Well - if i'm walking down the street and there's someone behind me yelling obscenities i guess you could say "why let it bother you - just ignore all of the vulgarities this person is yelling directly within earshot of you". Well - maybe you're just a better man than me. I know myself. I would prefer to put in 'magic' earplugs that allow me to hear everyone but the person i'm trying to ignore. Generally, I have a more pleasant day when I don't hear/read someone calling me 'female dog' or 'fucker', even if in jest.

jgomez, with respect to implementation, i'm sure it won't be that hard. I've already done something similiar to it before. You ever install the Google toolbar? Well, i've made an app similiar to that for one of the products i worked on - a software development web based bug entry system. Basically, you can write an ActiveX control that gets hold of the HTML just before it gets displayed to the user. You can scan the HTML and make any edits you want to it before final presentation. Thus, I would (using regular expression matching to match Andrew's conventions of display) scan each presented HTML page looking for the troll accounts the user of the app said he/she wants to ignore. For each such entry I would just replace the HTML section corresponding with the troll's post with "Troll account XXX is being ignored. Aren't you glad you don't have to see his blatherings?".

Though i've not made an app EXACTLY like this before, i've written enough similiar apps to know it can be done and won't be too terribly hard to get a first rough cut out. But of course, I won't even start on it till after the LSAT.

What will be nice though is that it won't be specifically tied to this LSD board. It will be customizable (if you understand regular expressions) to provide the same functionality for ignoring any troll accounts on any other boards you visit as well. Actually, the IE plugin i'm thinking of is so useful i'm surprised no one has written it yet. I've searched on tucows.com (a popular shareware/freeware site) and could find no app that provided this functionality. Hey - maybe this will be the app that i get rich on!   :D  just kidding.

And, of course, you can bet i'll take special measures to ensure that none of our resident trolls get any use from the app. When DOWNY tries to use it, he'll just get a big blank white screen that says "Welcome to dta country - female dog". Maybe i'll even re-format his drive.   ;D   

Actually, I really truly hope Andrew does not ban DOWNY because I really look forward to the day I have this app completed. I will get moderate satisfaction both from putting a muzzle on DOWNY and having him realize that I just put a muzzle on him and there's nothing he can do about it. There's just nothing like female dog-slapping a control freak with something he can't control.

ocelatl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 07:47:17 PM »
DTA,
I give you props on working towards developing a program that will help you get what you want out of this site.  I'm just beginning to get a little worried about you.  Reading your last post I could almost visualize you with unkempt hair, laughing maniacally, with a big vein popping out of your forehead.  Your whole vendetta against Downy borders on obsession!  Chill out and focus more on your upcoming LSAT (and rock that sonsab*%@#)!
"Freedom without opportunity is the Devil's gift." - Noam Chomsky

dta

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 08:06:30 PM »
hehe ... thanks oleactl. Nah - i'm just having fun w/ DOWNY. Giving him a little taste of his own medicine. Actually, now that I know i'm going to write this fun little IE plugin, he really doesn't bother me anymore. He's more like a de-clawed fuzzy little critter. But i still like to kick him. Especially since i know i'm getting under his skin now. Just helping Karma give a little back to downy. He gives so much to the world - I just want the world to give him a little sumfin back.

ocelatl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 08:22:25 PM »
"I see!", said the blind man!    8);)

hehe ... thanks oleactl. Nah - i'm just having fun w/ DOWNY. Giving him a little taste of his own medicine. Actually, now that I know i'm going to write this fun little IE plugin, he really doesn't bother me anymore. He's more like a de-clawed fuzzy little critter. But i still like to kick him. Especially since i know i'm getting under his skin now. Just helping Karma give a little back to downy. He gives so much to the world - I just want the world to give him a little sumfin back.
"Freedom without opportunity is the Devil's gift." - Noam Chomsky

M2

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 11:59:36 AM »
"I see!", said the blind man!    8);)

To his deaf daughter   ;)

Sosua

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 12:24:21 PM »