Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: It's final, I'm headed to Samford  (Read 8626 times)

n9282

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: It's final, I'm headed to Samford
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2005, 06:41:20 PM »
David you are not alone! I have the same sched., except Kleinberg for LLR.
Guess they stuck all of the Floridians in one section. ;)

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2005, 07:40:09 PM »
Hey Guys, (non-gender specific  ;D)

Sam and I got a place this past weekend at Colonial Grand Galleria, it's about 15-20 minutes from school next to the big Glaaeria mall. Pretty nice place 1500 square feet, so, the LSD party is back on at my place if we are all up to it. I went and saw the campus for the first time on Wed. I met GiGi, I think she works somewhere in admissions, she was very nice.

My schedule is:

Civ Pro- Cole
Contracts- Stone
Crim Law- Brown
LR- Baggett
Torts- Nelson

I saw some of us have the same profs, but I figure they are at different times.

Has anyone jumped off the deep end and bought a laptop yet? I am still looking and can't make up my mind. I will only be using it for class, not really games and stuff. Any suggestions?

-dax

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2005, 11:51:21 PM »
hey dax! I jumped off the deep end a few months ago because my old laptop crashed and i cant stand to be without a computer.  I got the dell inspiron 6000 and i couldnt be happier.  it has a wide screen so its probably a monster compared to most laptops--but i like it (i say this before i have experienced lugging it around) :D
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2005, 09:47:22 AM »
Hey there Auburn,

Thanks for the laptop info. Did you go through the Dell website? I was looking around and it seems to be about the only place to get a Dell. About how long is you battery life? I would hate to be in the middle of class and have it die on on me >:( Also were you able to get any of those magical discounts I keep hearing about? Thanks again,
-dax

texas1

« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2005, 09:55:20 AM »
Hey there Auburn,

Thanks for the laptop info. Did you go through the Dell website? I was looking around and it seems to be about the only place to get a Dell. About how long is you battery life? I would hate to be in the middle of class and have it die on on me >:( Also were you able to get any of those magical discounts I keep hearing about? Thanks again,
-dax

Hey dax -

I got my discount via couponmountain.com ($750 off) - plus after you figure out your best discount, go to a local mall with a dell kiosk and they will beat the price by another %50!

I got the Inspiron 600m (if you search for my old thread you can see all of the specs) - my final price after rebates is around $1050.

My battery life is supposed to be 4 hours - I haven't timed it but that seems about right...

Good luck at Samford - and if you do decide to transfer later - we would love to have you at TT!

aron

be10dwn

« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2005, 10:06:20 AM »
Man just perusing this thread I see you guys already got your schedules.  At U of A they are telling us we won't get our schedule until Orientation.  I think they aren't wanting to people to get head starts reading or something.  Good luck ya'll.  The staff attorney at my fathers company went to Samford and he just loved it.  I don't really know why I didnt apply there.  It was on my short list but I had to cut somewhere! 

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2005, 10:51:24 AM »
Texas1,
 Thanks for the info, I was looking at both the 600m and the 6000. I'm not very laptop smart so I feel like a pig looking at a clock. I figure I'll only be using it for school so I don't need one that will run the international space station.

BTW, I will get back to Texas, I just don't know how soon. It all depends on how well I do here at Samford my first year. It seems to be a nice place with nice folks, but my heart is in Texas, I just wish my ass was there also  ;D

-dax

sarendipity

• Sr. Citizen
  • My law school roommate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - froggerlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2005, 08:51:54 AM »
Dax, I went with the 600m...I really think it is all I need but I didn't spec out the 6000 very much. I have trouble with my neck and back so I wanted to keep it light. The 600m is under 5 lbs. I think either the 600m or 6000 are fine, but I would strongly recommend getting a good warranty on it, the spill/drop protection and at-home service. The first is obvious what it does, and it is important because laptops are alot more fragile than most people think. The second, if anything happens to the laptop and dell cannot fix it over the phone, they send a tech to your apt to fix it for you. I've heard horror stories of people getting ones from best buy, having it there to be repaired for weeks or even months. I usually check slickdeals.net for coupon codes, I'm not familiar with the other coupon site mentioned, but whatever you do, don't buy without a discount. Dell makes good machines but they are high priced.

"Remember what I said about finding a meaningful life . . . Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning . . . You notice there's nothing in there about a salary."   ~ Morrie Schwartz

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2005, 10:16:32 AM »
Sarendipity,
 Thanks for the info. I think I'll end up going with the 600m also. How long did it take for Dell to ship it to you?

sarendipity

• Sr. Citizen
  • My law school roommate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - froggerlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2005, 11:23:53 PM »
Dax- I've purchased 3 or 4 machines from Dell and I've always gotten systems about a week sooner than they say, so I'd guess you would look at about a 2 week turn around time. I think it depends on coupon codes somewhat because when I ordered Dell seemed really slammed. I went with free shipping but I think there's an expedited option. I could be wrong on that though.
"Remember what I said about finding a meaningful life . . . Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning . . . You notice there's nothing in there about a salary."   ~ Morrie Schwartz