Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: It's final, I'm headed to Samford  (Read 9050 times)

davidatfsu

• AOL Instant Messenger - davidsLawyer
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
Re: It's final, I'm headed to Samford
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2005, 01:29:57 PM »
Dave,
 Do you do any recording? I've got a RPX400 and have started learning how to do some recording. I usually get frustrated with the program I'm using. I need to get more user friendly software.

Nah, I never have gotten much into writing or recording. If I'm not learning music I'm listening to at the time, I'm usually just jamming to blues. I frequently roll a B.B. King or Eric Clapton album and solo along.

Recording always seemed to expensive and complicated to me. I figured it'd be a rare moment when I would want to listen to something I wrote.  ::)

sarendipity

• Sr. Citizen
  • My law school roommate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - froggerlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2005, 03:13:15 PM »
Hey slaw, You can take the pro of the oaks having fireplaces off the list, mine at WC has a fireplace. I didn't ask for it, and probably will be paying more for it, but I am sure I will use it at some point.

I'm starting to get excited about moving and starting school, but my boyfriend is now back from an 18mo deployment to Iraq so it is going to be very, very hard to be 700 miles away after finally having him home again.  :-\ Thank God for having friends already through you guys, and for Dax and his wife who probably know what this is like. Hardly any time left!
"Remember what I said about finding a meaningful life . . . Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning . . . You notice there's nothing in there about a salary."   ~ Morrie Schwartz

davidatfsu

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2005, 03:39:43 PM »
Hey slaw, You can take the pro of the oaks having fireplaces off the list, mine at WC has a fireplace. I didn't ask for it, and probably will be paying more for it, but I am sure I will use it at some point.

Good gravy. I guess "Slaw" is gonna stick with you from now on, eh, Sara? Check your facebook messages. I switched to WC.  ;D But I will comply with your request nevertheless and give it the ol' strikeout.

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2005, 04:17:12 PM »
Sarendipity,
 Congrats on getting your BF back in one piece, with all his pieces. In the past 3 years Samantha and I have only been able to live togeather for a total of 4 months. Military life can be tough, you got to be tougher.

Dave,
 I'll have to get you over and lay down some tracks. I't pretty cool after you lay down a bass line, and a couple of guitar tracks. Your friends come over and they're like "dude, who are you listening to, thats you? pretty f-ing cool". All the great blues men dropped a few tracks every now and then. The machine doesn't steal your Mojo ;D

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2005, 04:26:13 PM »
Guys,
 Why did ya'll go with WC? I'm hearing such good things about them, they are probably number one on my list to look at places.

What size did everyone go with and how far is it from school.

For those that have been there, is it worth the rent as compared to other places ya'll looked at.

House hunting from Honduras is a pain-in-the-ass!!!!!

davidatfsu

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2005, 04:41:29 PM »
Quote from: dustoffdax
I'll have to get you over and lay down some tracks. I't pretty cool after you lay down a bass line, and a couple of guitar tracks.

Sounds great!

Quote from: dustoffdax
Guys,
 Why did ya'll go with WC? I'm hearing such good things about them, they are probably number one on my list to look at places.

What size did everyone go with and how far is it from school.

For those that have been there, is it worth the rent as compared to other places ya'll looked at.

House hunting from Honduras is a pain-in-the-ass!!!!!

I sent you some flyers via email that Heidi sent me to help you compare.

I saw the 2 bed / 2 bath models at WC and The Oaks and they seemed really spacious to me. The Oaks was the closest, maybe 5 minutes down the road from Samford. But WC wasn't that much further down the road, and in fact it's closer to the grocery store, Sams, Wal-mart, etc. I think that's the appeal of it. Plus, it's gated with all the amenities.

WC couldn't guarantee anything less than a 2 bed / 1 bath for Aug at this point. The Oaks was filling up its 1 beds as soon as they came in.

And as I mentioned in an earlier post, there are plenty of places available north of campus and closer into Birmingham proper. But the locations are a lot crummier and it seems like more traffic to deal with. If you're wanting closeness and comfort at any price, the Oaks seems the way to go. WC is a year older or so and just a little further away for a better price.

crashlandingau

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2005, 08:28:37 AM »
I ended up going w/a place a little further away from campus, right off of 280 and close to the Summit and the I-459 intersection. I've heard 280 can be a parking lot during the rush hours, but it took me 12 minutes or so to get from the apt. complex to SU around lunch time. The area seemed to be pretty nice and it was close to Gold's Gym, Target and the other necessities. No matter how bad the traffic is, it can't nearly be as bad as the sh!t I put up with everyday here in Atlanta.
Good luck to all w/the apartment search!
There's nothing to worry about, until there's something to worry about

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2005, 09:30:56 PM »
i signed a lease at the crowne at overton village! the 1 br apts are really cute and roomy!
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

davidatfsu

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2005, 08:12:30 AM »
i signed a lease at the crowne at overton village! the 1 br apts are really cute and roomy!

Where's that?

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2005, 02:27:31 PM »
well it is sort of behind the summit-you have to go down 280 a mile or so to get there--its in cahaba heights
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!