Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: It's final, I'm headed to Samford  (Read 8901 times)

davidatfsu

• AOL Instant Messenger - davidsLawyer
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
Re: It's final, I'm headed to Samford
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2005, 03:17:57 PM »
I will be heading to B'ham later this week to look for an apartment  :) I can't believe it's almost June already  :-\ ...
David, congrats on choosing Samford!!

Yeah, same here, Crash. I'll be there this Thursday-Saturday. Thursday will be used to drop off paperwork, sign loans  :-[ , and visit a few friends. Friday is an all day apartment-hunt with Heidi. Saturday I'm buying my Coldplay tickets  8) and having a look around town.

Speaking of Colplay... no, blondie, it isn't general admission as far as I know. I'm almost positive it's reserved seating in an amphitheater. If you're serious (and anyone else for that matter) about wanting a ticket to the show, PM me and we might can work something out. If I buy tickets on Saturday, we can all sit together.  :)

davidatfsu

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2005, 09:10:21 AM »
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the 'Ham. Mom and I were equally impressed with the campus. I thought it was really easy to navigate. I took a wander around the law library and it looks great! The crappy little virtual tour online doesn't do it any justice. The law school itself is being renovated so I didn't get to see any of that obviously.

I also found an apartment. My first piece of advice is to anyone who is planning on living alone and really close to campus. GET DOWN THERE AND GET AN APARTMENT NOW! My first stop was Wildwood Crossings. I was really impressed with the place. But the studios were a definite no-go on availibility, and I was told by management that there was a slim chance I could get a 1 bedroom. And if I did get a 1 bedroom, it'd have to start in July more than likely. Add that to my rent here in Tallahassee, and I'd be looking at over a grand for rent in July. But they said if I wanted a 2 bedroom/1 bath, I could definitely get one of those. The price? $745. I was pretty dismissive of that idea at that point because I'm definitely living alone and an extra bedroom seemed silly.

So we went on to The Oaks. I've heard 2 people say they thought the lady there wasn't very nice. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same manager, but I thought she was fine. She was all business, that's for sure, and she seemed a bit more professional than the people at WC. (On the way to the model she was radioing workers about getting things cleared out of the hallway, picking up trash, etc. The complex is kept up very well.) She said she might have a 1 bedroom/1 bath for me, but could definitely guarantee me a 1 bedroom/1.5 bath. She showed me a comparable apartment. Really, really nice. Granted, my decorating will probably consist of a lot of posters and not look as nice as the model. But I was impressed by how well everything seemed to be constructed. She offered me a 3rd floor (only 2 flights to get up to mine) with the best location on property, vaulted ceilings, and a fireplace for $740. Really high rent, I think. I didn't sign any lease, but I decided on that one for the time being.

This is where you guys come in, especially if you looked at either of these properties. Later, in the car, my Mom goes, "I was surprised you didn't want to the 2 bedroom at WC for $5 more a month." Uh, darn. Didn't even think about the small change in price. I had already written off the idea of a 2 bedroom. Now I'm thinking I want to change over. What do you guys think? I already had them tear up my check at WC unfortunately, but I'm sure I could mail them one.

WC pros:
-an extra bedroom for a study, place to put all my guitars, or something else
WC cons:
-a little further down Lakeshore
-more undergrads
-having to pay an extra month's rent possibly

Oaks pros:
-fireplace (kind of a pro. I don't really care about having one.)
-closer to campus and inside a shopping center practically
-movie theater as close as the mailbox
Oaks cons:
-paying $740 a month for 1/1.5, knowing I could have another bedroom down the street
-paying $740 a month for 1/1.5  :-\

Both places, I think, are virtually indistinguishable in terms of "niceness." So that's not really a consideration. But do you all think I should go to the trouble of calling both places back up and switching myself over? I'm really torn here.

So again, if you want to be ultra-close to campus (i.e. on Lakeshore) and don't want to pay for an extra bedroom  :P, you should get down (or up) there quickly or give them a call and put your name on the waiting list. If you're planning on getting a random roommate, it doesn't seem as urgent. And use Heidi! She was great! She also said she had some sure-bets if you don't care much about location. You can drive up 31 through a couple large intersections (past Oxmoor) and find a place for $500-$600 no problem. That's practically in Southside and Heidi said those apartments can be hit or miss in terms of clientele and safety. "Consider The Oaks a 10, and then some of the places off of Valley maybe a 5 or 6 at best," said Heidi. I didn't look at any of them though, so I can't say for sure.

And when you go, you've gotta get BBQ ribs at Dreamland in Southside! They were fantastic!

I'm getting really excited about moving up there (July 20th - Aug 1st) and really excited about meeting all of you real soon. Please give me some feedback on the Oaks v. WC case, if you would.

Edit: I think Kim and Sara's takes on The Oaks lady were correct after all. I decided I would reactivate my application with Wildwood Crossings and cancel at The Oaks. Cindy at Oaks was less than enthusiastic and tried to keep $100. I had to remind her several times that I was within the 72 hours before repercussion. At any rate, I'm guaranteed now at WC for a 2bdrm/1bth but will take a 1bdrm/1bth if it opens up. I would be sick all year long thinking about how $60 could get me a whole extra room right down the road!

blondielaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2005, 10:07:53 AM »
I'd probably go with the 2 bedroom at Wildwood.  It's a better deal. The Oaks is definitely closer, but WC is still pretty close.  I'm getting a 2 bedroom at Woodmere for 730, planning to use the extra bedroom as a study.   It's off Columbiana, so it's probably halfway between WC and the Oaks. It was between there or the Oaks, and the people at Woodmere would actually call me back (unlike at the Oaks), so I picked them.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!  I was really impressed with the campus too, it's very nice!  I was told they are getting wi fi in the library, but they hadn't decided whether to add it in the classrooms or not. 

Crashlanding- hope your trip went well too!

davidatfsu

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2005, 11:06:35 AM »
I'd probably go with the 2 bedroom at Wildwood.  It's a better deal. The Oaks is definitely closer, but WC is still pretty close.  I'm getting a 2 bedroom at Woodmere for 730, planning to use the extra bedroom as a study.   It's off Columbiana, so it's probably halfway between WC and the Oaks. It was between there or the Oaks, and the people at Woodmere would actually call me back (unlike at the Oaks), so I picked them.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!  I was really impressed with the campus too, it's very nice!  I was told they are getting wi fi in the library, but they hadn't decided whether to add it in the classrooms or not. 

Thanks for the feedback. I think you're probably right about going with the better deal.

Wi-fi? Fantastic. I hadn't heard that. It might be worth bringing the laptop to campus after all.

Kathcolo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2005, 02:52:24 PM »
Hi there! I'm very bored at work and was browsing the posts...

I'm the wife of a Samford rising 2L and wanting to say congrats to all of you who are attending next year. My husband has had the most wonderful experience at Samford so far and is very happy there! The teaching staff is great and there is a good student repoire as well. Good competitive spirit but nobody cuts each other off at the knees. My husband lives in a little apartment complex in Mountain Brook and we love it. They are renovated from the 1930's, but quite cute and quaint. If you have any questions, let me know and again congrats!

By the way, my friend lived in Woodmere about 3 years ago and loved it! 

blondielaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2005, 04:03:36 PM »
Thanks so much for your comments!  That's definitely nice to hear good things about Samford!
So sad about that girl from Birmingham who is missing in Aruba isn't it?  I hope they find her alive and well.

Glad you made your final decision David; personally, I think having a separate room for my study will be great for me, because I can get distracted by other things... So if I have the mentality that when I go in that room, I'm working, hopefully I'll get a lot done.
When I was on campus in April I was told they are getting wi fi, but I didn't ask when.  So maybe it'll be all set up by the time we arrive, who knows though.

davidatfsu

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2005, 04:19:54 PM »
Quote from: blondielaw
Thanks so much for your comments!  That's definitely nice to hear good things about Samford!
So sad about that girl from Birmingham who is missing in Aruba isn't it?  I hope they find her alive and well.

Glad you made your final decision David; personally, I think having a separate room for my study will be great for me, because I can get distracted by other things... So if I have the mentality that when I go in that room, I'm working, hopefully I'll get a lot done.
When I was on campus in April I was told they are getting wi fi, but I didn't ask when.  So maybe it'll be all set up by the time we arrive, who knows though.

Yeah, absolutely the same for me re. separate rooms. I will have to keep the TiVo, guitars, and computer out of that room! I sure hope they do have wireless. As long as they're remodeling, it'd be so simple to install antennas.

God, what a nightmare for the parents of that girl. Some school administrators will have hell to pay over how an 18 year-old managed to not make it back to her hotel at two in the morning.

Quote from: Kathcolo
My husband lives in a little apartment complex in Mountain Brook and we love it. They are renovated from the 1930's, but quite cute and quaint.

I drove around Mountain Brook on Friday. So many gorgeous homes back there. Seems like a great place to run, if you don't mind hills.

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »
Hey all,
 I've been deployed lately and haven't been able to keep up with the post. Samantha (my wife) and I have pretty much decided against buying. I already have one house in Alabama and I'm pretty sure I'll try and get back out to Texas as soon as possible. I will be flying into Birmingham from Honduras the week of the 27th to get a condo or Apt. I need a place that will take my dog, so that limits my options. But I'm still down for hosting a party when we all get there.

David, it sounds like you have the same guitar collection problem that I have. I have five and a bass right now and really want to get a 57' Les Paul re-issue Gold Top, that might have to wait for a bit though. We need to make sure that we don't live in the same apt. complex or we will blow off studying and jam instead.

davidatfsu

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2005, 04:48:47 PM »
Quote from: dustoffdax
David, it sounds like you have the same guitar collection problem that I have. I have five and a bass right now and really want to get a 57' Les Paul re-issue Gold Top, that might have to wait for a bit though. We need to make sure that we don't live in the same apt. complex or we will blow off studying and jam instead.

Yeah, absolutely. Stay away! 4 electrics, an acoustic, and a classical are coming with me. At first I thought I wouldn't bring that many, but now I have an extra room! '57 Les Paul is a fine choice. I have a 2000 (I think) now and an ES-135. Gibsons are my favorite by far.

dustoffdax

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2005, 12:21:08 PM »
Dave,
 Do you do any recording? I've got a RPX400 and have started learning how to do some recording. I usually get frustrated with the program I'm using. I need to get more user friendly software.