Law School Discussion

NYU and where to live

manserunt

• The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
Re: NYU and where to live
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2005, 10:06:17 AM »
Okay, so after my whirlwind weekend in NYC, I have the following to add:

My all-around favorite neighborhood was Park Slope.  Love the gorgeous brownstones, and there are so many great restaurants and shops, plus Prospect Park.  Transportation situation not bad.

Other Brooklyn neighborhoods were fine as well, but boundaries are a little dicey.  Examples: Prospect Heights, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill.  I actually stayed with my boyfriend's aunt and uncle at their house in Prospect Heights, and it's a great area (and the 2/3 trains go right where I need to go in Manhattan) but you go a few blocks over and it's not a safe area at all.

Armed with this new information, I know that once I leave LA on August 1, I will have to go to New York and try to get an apartment then because I don't think it's something that I should really do from afar.  And I would give the same advice to anyone else who is not 100% familiar with certain neighborhoods/streets/intersections.  There is only a few blocks of Cobble Hill before you're in Gowanus - and that's not a gamble you'd probably like to take with an unscrupulous landlord or agent.

The best part of my neighborhood exploration was getting a really firm idea of where NOT to live.  I got a ride from my boyfriend's dad to JFK and saw first-hand that the advice not to live anywhere east of Prospect Heights is dead-on. 

ormachea

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »
I'll make sure to post something similar to manserunt after I visit this weekend.

ormachea

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2005, 04:36:22 PM »
I'm probably living in Hoboken. It's a 10 minute ride to NYU and the rent is cheap (relatively), the area is happening at night, and did I mention it's only a 10 minute ride to NYU?

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2005, 02:26:09 PM »
Im going to Cardozo-Yeshiva and got a studio in the east village on 7th between C and D...It was a bit of a walk to school (next to NYU law) but not too bad...Do any of you know, are there a lot of students that live in that area? Im from St Louis...so dont really know...I would agree though that, if you can get your hands on the loan money or whatever, living in Manhattan is better - at least for your first year- though either way, NYC is amazing, right? ;D

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 07:34:43 AM »
Park Slope- I lived in an area technically called "Gowanus" but people are now referring to it as part of Park Slope.  I'm not sure what the exact boundaries are, but I would estimate north of Park Slope, bound by 4th Avenue to the West, Atlantic Avenue to the North, and Flatbush Ave to the East.  I lived there 2002-2003, and just in the last year, it has really built up a lot of chic restaurants and stores.  It is still a little cheaper than Park Slope, but the rents are rapidly catching up.

Sunset Park-  I'd rate $$ rather than $$$.  Definitely cheaper than Park Slope but a little sketchier in some parts.

Kensington- Some really nice streets that look like they're in the burbs (normal houses with small yards), but also has more commercial avenues.  Doesn't have much in the way of nice restaurants and places to hang out though.  However, if you can't bear to part with your car, parking is pretty damn good for NYC here.  My boyfriend is looking for a roommate there, so if you want more details, PM me.

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2005, 01:19:56 PM »
Hi Staresky (im not sure i spelled that right, sorry!) I am def going to Cardozo and am soo excited...I would have written this message back to just you but wasnt sure how to-oops! I found my place really super easily through a broker (if you want a good place in manhattan and dont have any great connections you almost have to go this route)...it's expensive, but worth it...I just told the lady where I wanted to be (east village) and how much I was willing to pay (1250-1300 tops) and she did all of the looking...I took the first apartment she showed me...it's fully renovated...cute, studio...Im in a serious relationship as well (i see you're engaged) and I know my boyfriend will be moving to NYC soon so i just wanted my own place and to not have to deal with roommates...I went through Citi-habitats...you can find them online...they are a huge brokerage firm and work with students all the time...you can try and negotiate on the broker fees...i got her to go from 15 to 13% of the year's rent...so it's a lot..i just figure it's worth it in the long run considering how much you will end up spending...If you want more info you should def look at my blog...it's for cardozo students...mainly future 1Ls...people are from all over and all diff schools...from me at Wash U in St Louis to UC Berkeley to GW to UT Austin etc, etc...I would recommend asking any further questions you have about the school and whether or not to go by posting on the blog...I am totally excited to be in the East Village, NYC and going to Cardozo...Ive been in love with the school since i visited last year! Sorry everyone else for writing so much!!!  It wont happen again! you can also email me at kmetzidakis@yahoo.com or IM at katinametz...Cheer! :-*