Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cost of living in New York  (Read 1741 times)

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of living in New York
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 10:11:27 PM »
HunterHogan - Don't let these fools turn you away from NYC!!  I've actually spent time in Philly, DC, Chicago and other larger US cities and they're ALL priced similarly.  But, you just have to know where to shop!  YOu seek out the local pathmark or foodtown or c-town, etc.  The prices will be exactly the same as "back home." The key is knowing where to shop, and NOT shopping at bodega's or specialty stores. You don't shop at 7-11 back home for cheap prices, so you don't shop at bodega's in NYC for cheap prices!  The only thing that's really more expensive here is RENT.  That's it. The rest is a myth.

My first year in NYC - I lived on $11,000 - and I"m still alive to tell the tale!!  And, I've *always* made less than $40k and have done perfectly well and been able to enjoy what the city has to offer! These people make it seem like you have to earn $100k just to be "ok", which isn't true.

[For example, I like to eat cerael for breakfast in the morning.  A box of raisin bran at the grocery store (which, by the way is tiny and has nothing) is almost $6!!  And that's for a small box.  And forget about things like fresh fruit.  It's double the price of my hometown.]

Okay, you need to be more selective where you shop. There are TONS of open market asian fruit stands that have super cheap veggies...they're tons cheaper than where I am in the jersey burbs right now!   And tons more selection than my store in nowhereville-usa.

As for the cereal, well, here in the burbs a box of name brand is like $4-5.  But, there ARE bigger supermarkets all over the city that have generic brands and cheaper brands.  Gosh, even if you shop www.freshdirect.com where they deliver it to your door, it's not that expensive (a full-size box of Total Raisin Brand is $4.19 - just checked).  USE COUPONS and you'll save a buck or two.

You're overexaggerating or not doing a good job shopping around for lower prices!

[Be warned that you will lose about 20% of your hearing while you live there between sirens, trucks, the screeching of the subway, etc.]

Okay, drama queen, that's so not true!!  Where the hell are you living??

[e ready to push your way through a thousand people in small spaces to do anything--whether its walking down the street, buying toothpaste, or going to the gym.]

Do you live in Times Square or Herald Square? B/c those are the only two areas where you'd have to "push your way through 1000 people."  Come on, that's a biiiiiiig exaggeration!

[I'm from a small(er) town in the south and I guess I just love the southern "easy life" with good weather.]

I lived in the Midwest and the South...the weather is about the same. In fact, my friend back home always emails me saying "We got rain this week" and sure enough, we get it next week.

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 10:35:51 PM »
I haven't been to NY in a few years, but I can't imagine that it has changed that much. If I were in party mode, then I think NY would be great. However, when I am in study mode, I like quiet time and time away from people. I remember NY being dense, unlike Houston, Austin, or S Florida.

I spent $4000 on my 17-year-old car last year (gas, insurance, and all repairs). I spent $5000 on my rent last year. What housing can I get for $750/mo that is near Cardozo? Nothing. (At 30, I am not interested in a roommate.) Do I want to pay the difference in price? Not really.

On top of that, Cardozo is around $35000 more expensive than Rutgers over three years.

There are some very cool things about Cardozo and NY, but they are not worth $50,000+ to me - especially since I do not intend to practice law after school. The price difference is very important to me because I do not plan to make $100k per year.

I have always wanted to live in NY, but I have also wanted to have enough cash to really enjoy it.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 12:09:06 AM »
The biggest problem I have with NYC is not the cost of a slice of Pizza, or even the cost of a two bedroom in Astoria.  I'm bothered most by the fact that buying property is so absurdly expensive. 

I tried out that COL calculator mentioned earlier in the thread.  I compared Pittsburgh (b/c I'm going to Pitt) to NYC.  If you consider moving there and renting, the cost of living is something like 40% higher.  But if you want to buy, NYC becomes about three times the cost of living of NYC (300%!). 

And while that's probably a bit of a stark example b/c Pittsburgh's housing prices are lower than normal, it still proves a point.  You're making a real decision about your future lifestyle if you move to NYC.  You're making a decision on what you prioritize.  B/c there is literally no way to live near NYC with a family (and live in a safe area with decent schools) without being quite wealthy.  More likely, you'll end up on Long Island or Staten Island or Jersey or in Westchester.  And I know that I don't want a lifetime of commuting two hours a day to work.  Call me crazy.

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 01:58:02 AM »
The biggest problem I have with NYC is not the cost of a slice of Pizza, or even the cost of a two bedroom in Astoria.  I'm bothered most by the fact that buying property is so absurdly expensive. 

I tried out that COL calculator mentioned earlier in the thread.  I compared Pittsburgh (b/c I'm going to Pitt) to NYC.  If you consider moving there and renting, the cost of living is something like 40% higher.  But if you want to buy, NYC becomes about three times the cost of living of NYC (300%!). 

And while that's probably a bit of a stark example b/c Pittsburgh's housing prices are lower than normal, it still proves a point.  You're making a real decision about your future lifestyle if you move to NYC.  You're making a decision on what you prioritize.  B/c there is literally no way to live near NYC with a family (and live in a safe area with decent schools) without being quite wealthy.  More likely, you'll end up on Long Island or Staten Island or Jersey or in Westchester.  And I know that I don't want a lifetime of commuting two hours a day to work.  Call me crazy.

I'm thinking about looking for a job in Pittsburgh after law school.  I think the legal market is pretty good there for the size of the city, and the cost of living is very reasonable.  I have family ties to the area, and for some reason I'm still a Pirates fan.  Imagine having a $100K+ job around Pittsburgh.  That would be a pretty good living.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005, 03:01:35 AM »
Earn 100k in NYC and you're just another schmuck.  Earn 100k in Pittsburgh and you're just another schmuck living like a king.

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 11:28:33 AM »
I'm also worried about the cost of living in ny. I got into Brooklyn and WLed at Cardozo, but in and Houston. I visted NY this past weekend, and apts. are SOOO expensive. 1000/month is Houston for a 1 bd would be like a luxury apt. but it NY it's just average.

trayd79

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 12:02:47 PM »
I have a friend who lives in Lincoln Center and pays $900 a month for a studio, which is affordable by NYC standards.  It is possible to find decent rents right in Manhatten, you just have to have the time to look around.  Also, the law schools will help you find things. Just something to think about, hope it helps!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 12:14:29 PM »
[On top of that, Cardozo is around $35000 more expensive than Rutgers over three years.]

I don't disagree with your decision...I think it's much wiser to go to Rutgers and pay much less in tuition, than paying so much for Cardozo tuition.  I would do the same.

My only point was that NYC is not as expensive as most people are saying...and that it is totally mangeable.

At any rate, you can always move to NYC AFTER you graduate.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »
[ Earn 100k in Pittsburgh and you're just another schmuck living like a king.]

Yes, but who the hell would wanna live in Pittsburg???

You can live like a King on $100k in the midwest too, etc.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 04:29:02 PM »
Yes, but who the hell would wanna live in Pittsburg???
You can live like a King on $100k in the midwest too, etc.

You spelled Pittsburgh wrong.  And have you ever been to Pittsburgh?  I suspect not (here's where he contradicts me to give himself more credibility... ah, LSD ::) ). 

Pittsburgh is a great place to live.  It's a fun city with a lot of educated young people.  And it's beautiful -- the former home of some of the world's richest people (i.e. the architecture is amazing).  It's hilly, too.  Not like flat midwestern, strip-mall cities (I've lived in the midwest all of my life -- trust me, I know.  Pittsburgh is nothing like Columbus, Cleveland, St.Louis, Cinci, Indy, or any of the other flat, ugly midwestern holes). 

Plus, the state of Pennsylvania is absolutely amazing, especially if you like to backpack or rock climb or kayak.  Try that in New York.