Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: What do I do if I plagerized in the past?  (Read 1823 times)

evas

• View Profile
Re: What do I do if I plagerized in the past?
« on: May 24, 2004, 11:53:07 PM »
From what you guys are saying, you all that I no longer have a chance at law school.  However, I took your advice and called some law schools and my state bar.  They both said that as long as I fully disclose what I did, it should not be a problem.  So, I don't who to believe.  Do you guys have any actual accounts of applicants, or are you all speculating??

Thanks

evas

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 02:49:54 PM »
Med school is a lot harder to get into than law school.  I think doctors need to have a higher moral character.  Law schools might not be too hung up on the plagiarism as long they see that it was a one time incident and I learned my lesson. 

Anyone have any examples of real cases who applied to law school with an academic dishonesty record??

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:55:48 PM »
If the law schools and the state bar say you would have no problem, then I guess I see no reason why you shouldn't go for it.

Gummo

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 03:05:04 PM »
Most schools say they can overlook one stupid mistake, but this was THREE classes and expulsion, and it sounds as though it was fairly recent.  Maybe if you did something else for a few years so that some time could elapse and you could write about growing up?  I don't know that anyone will be able to point out successful/unsuccessful applicants in similar situations, because three instances of plagiarism in one week is probably a fairly infrequent occurrence (how did you manage that, anyway?). 

How explicit were you when you asked law schools and your state bar?  Did you just say that you had academic dishonesty on your record, or did you tell them the extent of it?

Your numbers, unless you score in the high 160s on your next LSAT, are tier 3/4 numbers...so I'd say the bar is your main obstacle. 

sweet_mira

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 05:41:27 PM »
Hello,
I applied to law school with a criminal record. When I was in highschool, my friends and I got caught shoplifting at a local mall and I aquired a juvenile record. I too thought this would effect my chances of admission because law schools want u to disclose everything (including juvenile records that have been sealed or expunged). However, I do not think that it effected me at all, as I was accepted to several great tier-one schools. The key is, however, I stressed that it was a highschool prank and that since then I have acted with the utmost moral character, and that my proffessors in college and my bosses from my jobs can atest to that. Thus, I think that you may not be screwed as far as law school is concerned, but I think i would wait a little while and work for a few years and build up your character references a bit. If you get a stellar recommendation from an employer that you may work for the next two or three years who can atest that you have acted in a professional, moral character that may help. The problem you have now is the experience didn't happen long enough for you to say that you have changed and would never do anything like that again. This is sort of similar to having bad credit; if you default on a loan, the blemishes are erased from your credit report after seven years and you are given a new start. Although your record will not be erased, I think that you need to also give yourself some time before applying to law school and build a good repoir with a boss or collegue and law schools may be willing to overlook a past mistake provided you have shown that you are a changed person.

ic408

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 03:46:32 PM »
I have a similar problem (but not so extreme) as I am considering to apply to law school. A couple of years ago a professor reported me for academic dishonesty for a homework assignment he thought was too similar to another students.  The other student and I received zeroes on the homeworks and got reported for academic dishonesty.  To me this seems like a small incident and it is the only blemish on my disciplinary record.

I have a high GPA, 3.98, and I have been scoring around 170 on practice LSATs I have taken.  My question is how this single incident will affect my application for a top-ten law school.  Anyone have any idea what I should expect?

hotsauce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »
Dude, you have no chance at a top 10 school if you have a academic dishonesty blemish on your record. No chance whatsoever. Sorry, but that's real. Try schools from 15-25, they'll prolly take u because of ur wonderful LSAT.

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 02:48:46 PM »
damn...i just wrote up a whole story about a friend in the same situation and i accidentally hit the back button and lost it.

summary.

he got caught cheating
permanent record, but graduated
took mcats and got a 42
couldnt get in anywhere because of the blemish.
now works for his dad's deli in brooklyn. 

you might be screwed.

I'm thinking med schools care more about that stuff than law schools. This dude could probably still get into some *&^% law school if he really wanted to.

Evas... how old are you?  If you're not too old already, you might want to think about waiting awhile before you go to law school.  I'm talking about several YEARS (like 3-5 years).  At that point you could tell the law schools that it was something you did a "long" time ago and that you're much older and more mature now.  Plus, you'd have another shot at the LSAT since your 150 will have expired by them. 

Skittles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 02:55:11 PM »
Med school is a lot harder to get into than law school.  I think doctors need to have a higher moral character.  Law schools might not be too hung up on the plagiarism as long they see that it was a one time incident and I learned my lesson. 

Anyone have any examples of real cases who applied to law school with an academic dishonesty record??

You're right.  Med schools are a lot more strict.  But here's the thing, I have a feeling the top law schools are just as strict as med schools. But I'm thinking that the lower tier law schools would still take you.  Some of them have practically open enrollment.

LaidBackinTexas

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 03:04:54 PM »
ic408

don't listen to hotsauce.  with a 170+ and a 3.98 you're golden for at least one of the top 10 - unless you have another weak spot in your application, maybe strength of undergraduate institution or something.  if you can explain why it happened and why it has never happened since, you're solid.

for all of you discouraging these guys - come on...