Law School Discussion

In at Harvard

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
Re: In at Harvard
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 08:38:43 AM »
Congrats, that's a sweet way to find out.

How long did your phone interview last?  Did you know it was an interview?  What made you decide to call them back yesterday?

Rufiooo

• Play Ultimate
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xPunk313x
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 10:33:35 AM »
This reminds me that my phone number has changed since I sent in my application.  I wonder if this kills my chances of admission, like if they call and can't get a hold of me.  No good!

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 11:46:20 AM »
Email them or call them with an updated number.  This is a good excuse to ask for your app status while you're at it.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 01:35:45 PM »
Voce: Although I'm still planning on going to the admitted student program at Columbia (and maybe NYU), it looks like I'll be at Harvard next year. Unless, of course, Yale should complicate things...

BigTex: The dean was pretty clear that very few spots in next year's class remain open (he even used the word "very"). While I don't know if a phone call is now a prerequisite for admission, he did make it sound that way.

Newy: The interview was about 5-10 minutes long. I had no idea what to expect when I returned Dean Morton's call. I was sort of hoping for a "congrats, you're in," but instead he just started asking me questions, beginning with whether or not I would definitely go to Harvard if I were accepted. At the end of the interview, he said that I could call the office for a decision "early next week." Being neurotic, I called first thing on Monday... the woman who answered the phone put me through to Morton and I heard the good news!

-Good luck to everyone who's still waiting... post updates when you have news

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 10:05:23 AM »
I got a similar call yesterday (March 30).  He left a voicemail at my home number, so I called from work, hoping to hear a similar, "We love you! You're in!"  He started asking me how Harvard was on my list.  I told him I had a great offer from Chicago but that I'm still open.  He asked me why I wanted to go to Harvard ... and I totally blanked.  I thought I completely blew it, but after b.s.ing for a while, he said, "Well this has been very helpful.  We will be sending you an offer of admission in the next few days."  Yay!!!  So keep the hope alive!  He's still calling people!

P.S. My app was on hold for about a month before this.

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 11:45:38 AM »
fingerscrossed- Congrats! That is great news! Did you send in any additional materials (lor, essay, etc) before you got the phone call?

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 02:52:59 PM »
I did send in an updated resume (I've gotten a new job since the old one) and a writing sample that way an updated essay from something I did as an undergrad.

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 05:27:38 PM »
Congrats fingerscrossed! By the way, I just met someone at the Columbia Admitted Students Day who was also admitted by phone after being held. It looks like they're not quite done accepting people.