Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MSU Ding...never saw it coming  (Read 1785 times)

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
MSU Ding...never saw it coming
« on: March 28, 2005, 08:54:05 PM »
I got a letter stating that they would admit me if i took a summer program with a couple of courses. And they would only admit me to the part-time program. That blows. If it was the full-time program, i might do it, but part-time, gimme a break.

Still have 11 other apps remaining, think i will be dinged flat-out at 6, have a chance at the other 4. Wish me luck.
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
Re: MSU Ding...never saw it coming
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:01:12 PM »
Wonder if they'll change their mind and offer you full time after people start to withdraw. I don't know if schools actually do that, but I know a LOT of people who are declining admission, my self included (and none of us even live in Michigan). Perhaps they're anticipating that they'll fill most of the full time slots. My friend was also admitted to the conditional program last week(but full-time)and she'll be decling (to take advantage of in state tuition). So anywayz.. good luck!

soupnazi

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:14:02 PM »
there is no in-state tuition at MSU, the law school is actually a private school.

I'm reluctantly sending in my seat deposit tomorrow.  I will promptly withdraw if I hear some good news from any other school.  At least they've moved up to T3.

Good luck to the OP

Whygohome

• Sr. Citizen
  • If you don't get into LS you can always work here.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 11:24:13 AM »
there is no in-state tuition at MSU, the law school is actually a private school.

I'm reluctantly sending in my seat deposit tomorrow.  I will promptly withdraw if I hear some good news from any other school.  At least they've moved up to T3.

Good luck to the OP

Where'd you hear they're T3 now? I thought the new USNWR rankings weren't coming out till 4/11? ???
Stats: 2.82(3.24) 152,157
Accepted: Widener, Mich St., Gonzaga
Denied: Seattle, IU-Indy, Pitt, Willamette, Case
WL: SIUC, UMKC
Pending: Duquesne, and Pacific.

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:43:28 AM »
The latest rankings have been posted for a few days on here and xoxo.

MSU jumped to Tier 3, PSU is now Tier 2, and Pepperdine jumped something like 20 spots. Tulane also made a sizable jump up.

The latest rankings are already out in stores around some parts of the country.

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 12:30:09 PM »
Wonder if they'll change their mind and offer you full time after people start to withdraw. I don't know if schools actually do that, but I know a LOT of people who are declining admission, my self included (and none of us even live in Michigan). Perhaps they're anticipating that they'll fill most of the full time slots. My friend was also admitted to the conditional program last week(but full-time)and she'll be decling (to take advantage of in state tuition). So anywayz.. good luck!
Thanks for the support. Anyway, these rankings have my head spining. How did MSU move up to T3 and PENN STATE move up to T2? Penn State wasn't sure they would even have a law school a few months ago, and now they're up in the rankings. That is why i did not apply to there because of all of the unsurity. Oh well, que sera, sera.
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 09:36:21 AM »
MSU's Dean wants it to become a T2 within the next few years and get to T1 status within the next 15 I think. The median lsat/gpa is rising pretty consistently. Just browsing through LSN, the lowest LSAT score admitted (2 people) was a 152. Most everyone else appeared to be in the 155-160 range.

Granted, when you start at the bottom it's easy to move up. It will take years of consistent improvement before MSU approaches T1 status. They'll also need alumni to become partners and improve the image of MSU with firms.

Going to MSU for undergrad, the news always had something on about MSU :P

Whygohome

• Sr. Citizen
  • If you don't get into LS you can always work here.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 12:22:06 PM »
Any idea if the law school will ever fully integrate and become public like the rest of MSU?
Stats: 2.82(3.24) 152,157
Accepted: Widener, Mich St., Gonzaga
Denied: Seattle, IU-Indy, Pitt, Willamette, Case
WL: SIUC, UMKC
Pending: Duquesne, and Pacific.

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 12:32:13 PM »
My guess is yes, as to when, I couldn't tell you. If you look at the steps taken over the last 10 and 5 years, things have definitely accelerated for integration. IE: moving the campus, dropping the name DCL, new law library, etc.

Now one of the main issues is a deal that the universities cut in terms of funding. It is very strictly stated that the law school cannot receive ANY public dollar for anything, not even admissions, pr, or staff. So momentum is definitely swinging towards going public, but like i said, who knows when that will happen. Who knows, they may want to keep it private so they can keep charging a lot for tuition/room and board. Gonna cost about 26k this year, thank god the cost of living is dirt cheap.

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 12:53:36 PM »
MSU's Dean wants it to become a T2 within the next few years and get to T1 status within the next 15 I think. The median lsat/gpa is rising pretty consistently. Just browsing through LSN, the lowest LSAT score admitted (2 people) was a 152. Most everyone else appeared to be in the 155-160 range.

Granted, when you start at the bottom it's easy to move up. It will take years of consistent improvement before MSU approaches T1 status. They'll also need alumni to become partners and improve the image of MSU with firms.

Going to MSU for undergrad, the news always had something on about MSU :P
I'm sure the dean from EVERY other tier 3 is saying the same exact thing. 

If MSU is to go up, that means that other schools must go down.

Personally, I dont think that they'll get out of T-3