Law School Discussion

Tulane's Recent Jump in Rankings

Re: Tulane's Recent Jump in Rankings
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 07:40:11 AM »
Thanks- I got 12.5 K but I can allow myself to be a little greedy ;-)

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 08:03:30 AM »
This is great news, and I got into Tulane a few weeks ago and will be going!!! I consider myself real lucky,  ESP with this new ranking, to have gotten in and I'm psyched!  Great news...  :) ;D

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 08:22:53 AM »
Congrats Dynamic!  Everybody I have talked to about Tulane is really psyched to be going there.  Even though it may be ranked lower than some comparable universities, it doesn't feel like it was a "fall back" school for many of the current and admitted students.

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 11:52:00 PM »
um...a 15 point jump just shows how stupid some of the rankings are...PS- take a look at the EQR and Gourman Report etc...It's really stupid that everyone is so rankings obsessed...have you ever looked at the avg LSATs and GPAs of schools and tried to rank them that way? If so, Tulane would be way lower than 41...sorry to burst everyone's bubble but Im sick of the Tulane take-over on this website

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 06:58:16 AM »
actaully according to most of the other law school rankings Tulne consistently ranks roughly 35 so do your research first... http://www.lawschool100.com/ (the second most popular rankings)

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 08:45:45 AM »
I can't find the lawschool 100 ranking system anywhere on the site, but the top of the site says "Based on Qualitative, Rather Than Quantitative, Criteria" which seems to strongly indiciate that its def. not based on gpa's and lsat's ranges which was Katinaishot's point I think. 
I think rankings are important in that they allow us to compare schools, but they matter most when choosing your school.  USNEWS is all over the place in their rankings, so its futile to predict which schools will go up and which schools will go down.  Everybody thinks there schools will go up, but alumni could donate less than expected or a rival could increase their library size or a tricky rival dean intentionally ranks your law school lower to hurt you and a couple schools pass your school.  On the flip side, your alumni give more than expected, your schools adds a new building and thousands of volumes to their library or you dean intentionally ranks rivals schools lower and you move up a few spots. Either one is just as likely as the other.
Finally it annoyed me that somebody said Tulane is definitely better than Maryland.  Based on what?  I have a 3.32 and a 166 and I am on hold at Maryland.  The two schools have rougly equal admittance policies and field about the same type students numberwise.  Tulane is a southern private school who focuses on atmosphere.  Maryland is a public school that focuses on diversity, look at maryland's website and see how many woman professors they have, how many minorities.  They stress something different than Tulane, not better or worse.
Its good to see people are excited about Tulane though--thats a very good sign for the school.

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005, 08:59:45 AM »
That's a cheap shot--unwarranted, especially like three weeks after the fact. If you're aggravated that people are fired up about Tulane, do you think your post's going to shut them up? Nothing personal--just seems like flawed logic--plus you don't have to read these posts if you don't want to....

um...a 15 point jump just shows how stupid some of the rankings are...PS- take a look at the EQR and Gourman Report etc...It's really stupid that everyone is so rankings obsessed...have you ever looked at the avg LSATs and GPAs of schools and tried to rank them that way? If so, Tulane would be way lower than 41...sorry to burst everyone's bubble but Im sick of the Tulane take-over on this website

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2005, 09:11:36 AM »
Dude, Im glad for you and for everyone else at Tulane...As I said, I PERSONALLY was seriously considering going there...like VERY MUCH SO...However, anyone with half of a brain that looks at this website will notice that there is a hell of a lot of dominance by Tulane students writing about their school and so, therefore, I think perhaps it is in the interest of diversity and whatnot to point out that Tulane is great but not necesarilly fabulous for everyone...Im not trying to make you not be proud about Tulane, Im trying to let potential law students see that it's not the only option...i mean, it's really odd how many people have been writing about Tulane...this must be a really pop website for their students...